benm tethering

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by achineseninjew, Mar 4, 2010.

1. achineseninjew macrumors newbie

So when i navigate to USA and then to AT &T and click download i get the Invalid Profile Error: Profile format not recognized

what does this mean?

What can i do to fx it?

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

What firmware are you running? What phone do you have? Is it jailbroken? I have heard it doesn't work on all firmwares, but I don't know which ones. I would like to know this.

3. achineseninjew thread starter macrumors newbie

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You need to patch CommCenter to remove the signature check on mobileconfig files. I recommend eagos' tethering hacks.

5. tmatthews14 macrumors regular

I had problems with the BenM tethering stuff. You should look for a different wan to tether. When I downloaded the 3.1.2 profile I started losing service randomly, and my 3g stopped working unless I rebooted my phone. It was a pain. I'd recommend finding a different way to tether, because there are other options.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

So my question is, can you tether on any iPhone without Jailbreaking? I really don't like Jailbreaking because my phone is SOOOOOOOx∞ slow (and I assume that is because of Jailbreaking)

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

sp

what phone 3G, 3gs are you using? firmware? then we can answer your ?'s ;)

8. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Well, I don't necessarally mean for my phone, just any iPhone in general. However I would like to do it on mine also. I have an iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 but would be willing to downgrade to the 3.0 if possible.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only on 3.0.1 stock firmware I believe. Anything past that only if u jb.

10. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Is it at all possible to downgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.0.1?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes on 2G and 3G models. Not on 3GS

12. edit1754 macrumors newbie

Want my two cents?

Don't use benm at all. Don't use MyWi either. Use PDANet.

PDANet routes the data as if it's coming from the phone itself, so it's more difficult for AT&T to notice.

Well, yes and no. If you jailbreak your phone solely to install a tethering hack or to install PDANet, you should notice no changes in speed. You usually only notice a speed change when you have a lot of MobileSubstrate addons installed from Cydia, a lot of Winterboard themes enabled, or a lot of background daemons running. PDANet has a background daemon but you shouldn't notice a difference if it's one of the only things you have installed.

13. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Don't use PDANet either.

Use the tethering for 3G/3GS off of the sinfuliphone repo. It's the simplest and most stable out of everything. It has never crashed on me because it makes tethering native on the iphone. It also makes APN settings available and even shows a tethering data counter. I have been using it for the past couple of months and it has never failed me. PDANet makes the phone get really hot and sometimes just simply crashes.

14. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Aside from what I should use to tether, why in the world is it going so slow. I have lots of really fun games like Need For Speed etc. that simply can not handle it, maybe max 5fps. It just gets slower and slower. Now even some of the 2D games are getting slow, such as "iCopter Classic". I've not really had it non-jailbroken for for as long as I can remember so I'm not sure if it's the Jailbreak or not.

It was just for tethering, but I decided to install a few things I thought would be safe. Aside from what is already installed when you jailbreak, I have; Cycorder, Cydia, Flashlight, MyWi, Rock Extensions, and xGPS.

If I start a new thread will you guys (or anyone) help me out there?

15. Buddyt macrumors newbie

benm.at Tethering ...no worky, but...

benm.at Tethering doesn't work for my NON-jailbroken 3GS (3.1.2) iPhone either. I also get the "Invalid Profile, Profile format not recognized." error. I did however get the same carrier settings downloaded by going to iphonefire.net/t/ But... it doesn't work either; No tethering options in my Settings. The only thing it shows is the new Profile (In the 'General' settings, under 'Accessibility.') Can anyone explain what's going on with this? Thanks.

16. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

No JB no tether in the US.

17. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Except if you have 3.0.1