Benq G2400W, Macbook Pro & "No signal detected"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by w0ngbr4d, May 7, 2009.

1. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

I've been running a Benq G2400W on my MacBook Pro since December 2008 with no problems. I recently has my logic board replaced due to a power issue. I got the computer back a few weeks ago. For some odd reason, my monitor refuses to accept the signal from my MacBook Pro over DVI. I can use the DVI to Analog converter and it works just fine.

I did find a thread over at Apple Support Discussions outlining the exact issue I am having. The solution is to remove a pin from the DVI cable. I shouldn't have to destroy a cable to get this to work again. I might order a new cable/adapter from monoprice.com and destroy it if that is my only option though.

I just can't figure out what changed except for the logic board swap...but I don't remember if it has worked over DVI since I got it back.

I deleted the windowserver plist for my user and the system one with no change in behavior. Are there any other settings I could try resetting?

I've unplugged the Benq and reset the monitor via the OSD to default settings.

I did read over at anandtech that it could be HDCP related...but I'm not trying to watch a video.

I plugged the laptop into a Dell 1905 at work via DVI and it worked perfectly fine.

I'm completely baffled.

Thoughts?

2. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the pin 16 mentioned in that Apple Discussion thread with no luck. :(

Looks like its back to analog for now...maybe 10.5.7 might help.

3. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

So I installed the Windows 7 RC today and installed the most recent Nvidia driver for notebooks from their website. I had DVI output at 1280x720...I think there was a monitor driver issue that prevented me from going to 1920 x 1200 (or it was the missing pin in the DVI cable, who knows).

I then proceeded to install the Boot Camp software which overlaid my video driver with an older Apple supplied one. Same issue in Windows with "no signal detected" as in OS X.

This is definitely a driver/software issue on Apple's part.

Since I had my logic board replaced, should I do a reinstall of OS X? When I got the laptop back, I restored to a SuperDuper! backup I made before sending the laptop in. I don't know if there are differences between the logic boards that could cause this issue.

I probably try a reinstall of OS X after I order a new DVI cable to see if that resolves the issue.

Definitely an odd issue.