Bent/Cracked 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HoosBruce, Mar 22, 2015.

1. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Let me start off by saying that in no way were either of these issues caused by a fault in the phone nor am I blaming Apple. These were my own fault, and my negligence. Also, I have always had AppleCare+, but since I bought this 6+ on Swappa and was only going to have it for less than a year I kind of forgot about it and do not have AppleCare on this phone. Anyways...

I dropped my 6 plus about 3 months ago (has an Apple leather case and a screen protector on it, but they won't protect it in these cases) and it landed right on the screen and cracked it from bottom left to top right. It worked perfectly fine and wasn't even a big deal to me so I left it. This past week while in New Orleans I was pretty drunk and happened to sit on the phone very hard apparently (phone was in back pocket) and bent it very badly and shattered much of the screen. The right part of it is now raised from the phone, part of it is jagged and sticking up, and I can see where the glue is showing under the screen on that side.

My question is what are my options? I took it to the Apple Store and they said it obviously wouldn't be a repair but a replacement, but I'd have to wait for a technician and I didn't have time that day. Does anyone have experience with this situation? How much will I be paying for this and what should I do in this case? Thanks guys. RIP 6 Plus...

Attached Files:

2. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another image...

Attached Files:

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

Bummer. But why would Apple have made you wait for a technician just for them to replace the phone with a unit out of a white box? Also, they didn't tell you the cost to replace it?

4. iosxuser macrumors newbie

cost is going to be expensive.

i'm starting to think that all the bent cases are iphone users not used to the big screens. i don't get why you'd put your phone under your ass... but you were drunk...

the replacement will either cost 300$+ or you'll have to buy another one completely brand new i'm guessing.

lesson learned huh? :eek:

5. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

They did not, and I was dumb to not think to ask. Just slipped my mind.

----------

I always put it back there bc it does not fit up front especially when sitting down. Or at least it does not fit comfortably or very well at all. In fact the first time I dropped it was bc I had it in the front pocket and it slipped out when getting out of the car. Normally I have it in the back and take it out to sit down, but I obviously forgot lol.

6. iosxuser macrumors newbie

you could temporary buy a cheap ass android phone on craigslist and wait for the 6s which might fix this whole bendingness.

(the plus will still bend if you sit on it) even the galaxy note 4 would bend in that scenario. lol

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

8. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

This. Best option

9. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

There is not 'beningness' to fix. Op fessed up to why this happened and is looking for some options.

10. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was thinking. $329 for the Plus right?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not sure but sounds about right.

Sorry for your loss.:apple:

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

can you then put apple care+ on the replacement?

14. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got the replacement in today. Everything is working great so far! It was $329 plus $29 overnight shipping. No Apple Store nearby and needed it immediately.

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Greatness!! Did you get the Applecare Plus on the replacement? Or were you allowed to?

16. paranoia macrumors member

paranoia

17. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

So what does Apple do with the old bent phone?

18. flom macrumors newbie

you can't.

19. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't and can't. Got an otterbox commuter and a tempered glass screen protector for this one though lol.

Love the apple leather case but it does not provide enough protection for me.