bent iphone 6 (is genius bar going to help?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeff3f, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jeff3f macrumors member

I just noticed my iPhone 6 is bent. Unsure what I did, which somehow makes it worse, I don't even know how long it's been bent but the problem is that now I can see that it's bent and it drives me crazy. I'm curious what experiences folks have had with the genius bar, are they replacing these under warranty or charging for them?

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

No one here knows for sure. There have been many success stories of people with this issue being exchanged. Make an appointment, go to the store, and find out.

Good luck.

3. Sal09 macrumors regular

Depends totally on the Genius who handles your appointment on the day. My other half dropped her iPhone 6 and cracked the screen. Booked an appointment for next day. On the day we were told their screen calibration machine is not working and will replace the phone for the price of screen replacement (£79.00). The genius took the phone out of Apple leather cover to inspect any out of warranty damage before processing the replacement. Upon inspection discovers phone is bent near the SIM card tray. Him being a gentleman applied discount of £150.00 processed payment of £79.00 and gave us the replacement.

Sal

4. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

They did replace it at the apple store, and under warranty. I was grateful. While there was bending, I do not think I did anything damaging to the phone. My guess is the next iPhone will look a lot like iPhone 6 but it will feature fiercely reinforced aluminum.

this is the first time I've needed warranty service from apple when I wasn't sure they'd cover it, so I'm very happy with the result.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

What was it that you said to them, and what did they say in response as far as getting this replacement?

6. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

I didn't say much at all. I said, "my iPhone is bent" and they looked it over. They didn't say much either, though I figured out after a while that my genius meant to replace it. I asked his name twice so I wouldn't forget, but I was very happy that apple did replace it for me.

This is the first time I've needed repair on an apple product, when I was unsure whether it'd be covered under warranty. My opinion was that it should be, but I wasn't sure that apple would agree. So I was pleased, and grateful.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Did they give you new or refurbished? How long did you have that 6 that was bent?

8. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

got it at launch, so 7 months old. I got a refurb, which from apple is probably as good as new (looks fine outside and display looks like my last one). zero complaints, and very happy I decided to stop by the apple store tonight.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Lucky. I've always had problems with my iPhones. My 5s screen became unlaminated shortly after I bought it, then the replacement phone screen completely popped out of the casing... My 6 Plus has been holding up well, I should add. My 4S was the best phone I've ever owned.

10. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

How does it work when you replace a phone in the store? Do you have to wipe your old phone on the spot, and hand it over? Or do they give you a mailer to send in the old phone within x days, so you have time to backup/transfer data at your leisure? (I hope/assume the latter...)

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Afaik, it's the former. If you haven't already backed up and the phone is working well enough, you can take advantage of the store's wifi network and do an iCloud backup before handing it over. If it's too badly broken to backup... well, let's hope you already make backups on a regular basis.

I've never heard of them giving someone a mailer so they can take it home to backup. More likely, if you say you want to mail it in later, they'd tell you to call AppleCare and setup a repair over the phone.

If you've made an appointment, you should get an email recommending that you make a backup before you go. Appointment or not, If you know you'll be heading to the store in need of a repair, why would you not back it up before you go in?

There's an old, sorta snarky saying, "Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

12. JAT macrumors 603

I always backup before going in. They will let you sit there backing up if you want, then turn it over. But I always take off immediately when the physical transaction is done. I can restore later or start it on the way out and let it work while I walk/drive.

They will require you to shut off Find My iPhone, and then wipe it.

13. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Good to know; thanks to both. I guess the key is that you make an appt.; you're not just walking in off the street to "see if they can help." (As I mentioned on another thread, I've always bought phones and done RMAs through my carrier, and I'm interested in the ins and outs of handling repairs/swaps via Apple.)

14. Tankerspam macrumors newbie

Warranty last or a year (NZ law) at least and the problem must be fixed for free if not it maybe replace for refunded, otherwise they can be sewed, warranty goes back to 1 year or that problem once fixed/replaced goo luck!

15. Nl710 macrumors newbie

The mute switch on my iPhone 6 hasn't been functioning properly since I bought the phone. Just recentually it stopped working all together so I went down to the Apple Store. At first they told me my phone was bent and that was why the switch was malfunctioning and it may cost some money to repair. The genius then went for a second opinion and came back and said because I still have warrenty and that they would just replace it for free. If your phone is bent it's worth a try to go to apple and see what they can do for you.