Bent iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRun26.2, Mar 26, 2015.

1. iRun26.2, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Have other people experienced this? I went biking with my iPhone 6+ in my front pocket and when I got done it truly was bent a little bit by the volume control buttons. I bent it back (flexing the screen scared me) but I'm worried about it happening again.

I thought the bending stories were a fake. Has anyone had the problem and what did you do?

(I didn't think I had to be so careful with the thing!)

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I'm confused... You say you thought the bending stories were fake, and then ask if anyone else has had this problem???

Obviously others have had this problem.

If it's bent, you can take it to Apple and see if they'll exchange it. They've been doing so.

The new one will likely bend as well in the same situation. Plan on not doing that with your phone if you want to use a 6 series.

My 5 had been incredibly durable. It's been through hell and still looks like new. I'm not gentle on it.

But, yes the 6 will bend if you apply stress.

3. XRichard23 macrumors regular

I traded my 6 for a 6+ and it bent after about a month. I did not immediately realize it and I also didn't know why the previous owner had done to it. However it did bend at some point. Luckily for me I trade my 6 and $20 for the 6+ both 64gb and this 6+ has AppleCare which my 6 did not, so I won.

4. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

My dad bent his. He closed it in the car door.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

See, that's Apple ingenuity. I'd rather bend my phone than bend my car door ;)

6. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

While its got a pretty good bend in it, the screen still looks great and the phone functions normally. I was actually really impressed.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Cool :) I'd keep it. It'd be a good story. Add some duct tape on the edges, and he can talk about how he takes his phone with him on all his trips to exotic places and how he used Siri to help him navigate out of one of the ancient Incan ruins while some undead protectors chased him ;)

8. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

haha He is 78, no one would believe him. I gave him that phone. Up until Christmas he twisted the "Hey dad, I got you this phone. It's backordered now; you're one of the first people to have it" reality into "My son has connections and got me this phone even though not available until Christmas".

9. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Lol that's great. Sounds like a fun character.

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So basically you put your expensive phone under stresses it's not supposed to be exposed to and you're surprised it bent..... Here's a little lesson for ya..... don't ride a bike with your six plus in your front pocket if your shorts/pants are tight.

If you do it again it may happen again but of course that's totally on you.

----------

Lots of people throwing opinions around as if they're facts lately...... sad (in my opinion)

12. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

I never had the problem with any of my other iPhones under the same circumstances. I guess the iPhone 6+ is a little weak in the area around the volume control buttons (the same place where the guy in 'bendgate' videos showed it bending). I will have to treat my iPhone 6+ with special care compared to my previous three iPhones.

13. ricktat macrumors 65816

Here are my list of phones over the past few years:

Samsung Captivate, Samsung Galaxy S2, Iphone 4S, Galaxy S3, Iphone 5, Iphone 5S, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy S4, Iphone 6, Iphone 6 plus.

All have been in cases and have all been treated with the same care. I am especially careful since I like to trade so much.

Take a wild guess on which one of those phones bent/warped with the same daily routine?

14. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

iphone 6 plus?

15. ricktat macrumors 65816

:D yup

I have AppleCare plus so it shouldn't be a big deal other than my OCD. I have to keep bending it back into place. It made it for a month first though.

My extreme environments included being in the front pocket of jeans that aren't tight and extreme events like bending over to tie my shoe.

My dad's 6 month old 6 plus is perfect. He just keeps it in his shirt pocket.

16. Jayson A macrumors 68000

My iphone 6 bent a little bit tonight by the volume rocker, but I bent it back and it's straight again. This probably won't be the last time I have to bend it back.

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

How does one close a car door on a phone? I mean do you call someone over to hold the phone in mid air so half of the body is in the door's vicinity while the other half is in the person's hand and you slam the door on it?

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Not special care.... reasonable care. I ride my bike, golf, drive, and many other activities with my phone in my front pocket.... but here's the clencher.... I ensure I don't put abnormal stresses on my phone..... I can feel, if for what ever reason, the phone being "stressed" so I stop doing what ever I'm doing and re-position or remove my phone from my pocket. Be careful out there!

Hmmmmm ok and? You obviously put the phone in a situation for which it wasn't designed. How can tens of thousands do the same thing you do with their phone yet don't have any bending issue? It's got to be the phone right?

19. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

He is old. He had the phone in the side pocket of a wind breaker. the wind breaker wasn't zipped up. It was hanging out into the door frame/jamb when he shut the door.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

I can see that. I've had simple fumbles that send a phone tumbling in some potentially damaging positions. A decent case and screen cover render most of it a non issue. Not from catastrophic damage so much as from annoying scratches and gouges.

21. ashtuzhed macrumors newbie

The new one will likely bend as well in the same situation.

22. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

What is more surprising than the OP sharing his sad little story is that people are actually replying to it and taking it serious.

23. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's a shame everyone has opinions. You had absolutely no reason to come here and post that.

Its not like we haven't done the bending thing to death now.