Bent MBP Unibody chasis :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicnic77, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nicnic77 macrumors member

Ok, I've had my spankingly gorgeous new 2.4Ghz Unibody MacBookPro Unibody for a couple of weeks, but a few days ago I saw light hitting the chassis at a slightly different angle to normal, highlighting a substantial dint below the keyboard and to the right. I now see this dint every time, and its a bit disheartening. Its suspiciously looks to be located in the exact same location my thumb has been placed whenever I've picked it up with only my right hand. Nothing else could have caused this, as I have treated it with utter most care, as with anything brand new.

I thought the Unibody was supposed to really strong? Can't it even survive a one handed pickup with maybe 30% of its weight on a single thumb pressure point? My old plastic MacBook was like a tank compared to this flimsy aluminum, I even accidentally dropped it on the corner once and saw very little damage.

Has this happened to anybody else? I read about this guy tonight, which prompted my message. Does anybody have an clue as to whether Apple will fix this for me? It surely isn't right. The Mac was a gift so it isn't registered in my name, plus it was bought in the States, and I live in the UK. I already sense negative responses!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's not the best way to start your thread...

Get in touch with Apple and see what they say. Mine feels like a tank, much sturdier than my previous MBP or MB. I can't imagine it would dent just picking it up.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Hmm. It's hard to imagine something like that to put a dent in it. But, at your expense, thanks for the heads up. Sorry. But anyways, check with apple.

And pictures?!

4. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

Actually I ended with it ;) My meaning was, even if Apple are willing to help me, I may have to jump through hoops due to the MBP being an import and registered to another party.

That's exactly what I thought. I picked it up the MBP in the exact same way I pick up my MB, actually thinking it would be even stronger. Arguably, picking a laptop up in one hand is careless, I don't know if that's bad with 15" due to their weight, but I've never had a single problem with it on my MB.

From the Apple site:

I have certainly noticed a big difference; it bends. Although it may 'feel' strong and durable, perhaps it's 'physical' strength and durability doesn't quite live up to the hype surrounding the Unibody enclosure.

5. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

It is very hard to imagine it, especially as Apple has spent fortunes on letting us know how strong and durable these things are meant to be! Like I said above, maybe I didn't handle it properly, but I think Apple did a pretty good job of telling me I didn't need to worry too much about how I handle it.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

I doubt that was caused by your thumb, unless you have abnormally pointy thumbs :D If it was your thumb I imagine it'd be a more subtle bend, rather than something so clearly defined..

7. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

I know for a fact that nothing has ever been dropped on the MBP as I've treated it like any other new, exciting toy; with great care. I even dusted it gently every day!

I also know that the dent is in exactly the same place that I previously rested the middle of my thumb while picking the machine up. My thumbs can actually flex easily in both directions which forms more of a knuckle than a pad..

Somebody on the Apple discussion board just said exactly the same thing as you! Perhaps I have ghosts, or geeky burglars, or weird thumbs.

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah thats a bad spot to put ur thumb the aluminum overall may be stronger as a solid pieces but the outside pieces the user interacts with are very thin.

9. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Do you by chance wear a watch? Maybe you putting your watch down on it caused it to dent it.

10. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i just tried this with my air and found out there is little or no weight on ur thumb its all on the bottom, how did this happen

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No, that's impossible, there's no way the OP could've done that unless it was deliberate and that requires some force. That looks to be a manufacturing defect. My Macbook Air shipped to me with a dent in it. I called Apple and they immediately exchanged it. The Air the original unibody, the surface is resilient and shouldn't get dents from holding it with one hand. Maybe a bend but not a dent.

12. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

Nope, I use my iPhone for the time. The fact the dent is directly beneath where I used to put my thumb, is perhaps leading me to false conclusions, because had it been anywhere else I would have put it down to user error. I just can't see how it could have possibly happened any other way.

I'll ask Apple if there is anyway of getting it banged out, at the very least.

13. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

if it was on the bottom i could see it but no way on the top

14. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

It does look like something has hit it, but there's no chance it was deliberate, and I have zero recollection of anything even close to striking it with any force. I'll have to state my case with Apple and see what they say..

15. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

The middle of my thumb acts as a counter weight, so there is probably equal force between the hard bit of my thumb and my fingers underneath. I can feel my thumb digging in when I do it. Maybe that alone isn't enough to cause it, maybe it also takes a defect.

16. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

It took you a couple of weeks to see that dent???? You should be able to both feel and see that crater without light at a different angle than normal. It looks like something was dropped on it IMO.

17. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

No it wasn't there from day 1. Ok, so the general consensus is I've jumped to the wrong conclusions. Maybe so, I just hope there is some way of fixing this without it costing hundreds.

18. MBPDiva macrumors regular

ITA. You can actually see the point of impact. No thumb attached to a human could make a mark like that. A bionic thumb maybe? :D

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No, you ended your post with it, but you started your thread with it.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The pictures you have posted are of an impact dent, not where you have simply lifted it with your thumb, unless your thumb has a 3mm diameter and is made of titanium. It would take all the weight of the MBP to cause a dent as you say using your thumb lifting it, its nearly impossible.

Look at the dent, its a few mm across, and fairly deep. It looks like a book or something fairly heavy and sharp was dropped on it.

To fix it the whole top of the Macbook Pro casing needs replacing, along with the keyboard. This costs $600. I would just put up with it if I was you, its only a cosmetic annoyance.

21. bizzle macrumors 6502a

22. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

If your computer is otherwise in great shape - forget about the dent - its not really a crater ;)

In 2 or 3 years you will be trading to the latest at that time - it is a tool - not a work of art.

It will cost you hundreds to replace the top and who knows what else will get messed up in the process?

It is a tool It is a tool It is a tool It is a tool............

23. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Does anyone else have access to your computer? That definitely looks like a dimple from impact... and something much more substantial than your thumb on the outside of the case. A finger would leave a much more gradual slope, whereas your pictures show direct force concentrated in one central area. Which is probably what applecare would tell you too.

24. mikekelley macrumors member

Does it work fine?

This is really not worth the time and effort to attempt to get fixed.

As previously stated...it isn't a museum piece, its a computer. use it.

25. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

that would upset me, any kids around the house? Is there a defect in the case? that you can see? maybe the case was very thin underneath at that area? If your thumb caused that holy crap!:eek: