Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
Hi all,

My Macbook pro's case is bent just over the optical drive to the point I cannot insert any discs anymore, which is a big problem in my case as I use it a lot...

It has not been damaged by me, it didnt fall from my desk, i really dont understand how this could happen.
If I wanted to do this myself I probably would need a sharp tool and apply a lot of pressure...

I uploaded a photo for y'all to see and give your opinion. As you may notice, "the upper part" is not bent, it's really only the case...

http://titatom.webuda.com/images/macbook.jpg

My macbook is under applecare until septembre 2011, do you think this is covered ?

Thank you !

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Hi all,

My Macbook pro's case is bent just over the optical drive to the point I cannot insert any discs anymore, which is a big problem in my case as I use it a lot...

It has not been damaged by me, it didnt fall from my desk, i really dont understand how this could happen.
If I wanted to do this myself I probably would need a sharp tool and apply a lot of pressure...

I uploaded a photo for y'all to see and give your opinion. As you may notice, "the upper part" is not bent, it's really only the case...

http://titatom.webuda.com/images/macbook.jpg

My macbook is under applecare until septembre 2011, do you think this is covered ?

Thank you !

Almost certain it will not be - sorry

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
well, it doesn't really look like a "manufacturing defect" but not sure how it could have happened without the top being bent.

Can't hurt to bring it to an Apple store and see what they say. Can you otherwise try to put something in there, like a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" hardwood or something, to coax it back into shape?

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
Almost certain it will not be - sorry

Thank you for your awnser though I was hoping for a better one :p

This is clearly a fabrication defect...maybe the heat in that area softened the plastic and it bent naturally...

Do you think there is a way to negotiate with apple ? Do they even make that part anymore ? Maybe they could give away a external drive ? :confused:

I also tried bending it back but it is ver difficult and I do not want to damage my computer even more...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
That actually doesn't look so bad for a self fix.

I'd take it to the store first and try.

What did you try bending it back with.

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
That actually doesn't look so bad for a self fix.

I'd take it to the store first and try.

What did you try bending it back with.

I tried with a flat screwdriver but the plastic is quite resistent...

I'm going to take your advice and take it to the Apple Store in Montreal see what they say though my hopes aren't big .. !

I'll keep you guys posted on the advancements !

Thanks to all for your responses !

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
If it's plastic, it wouldn't bend like that w/o heat involved more than likely....it would just snap. Also, in order for a drop or something user-error related to cause that sort of damage, the palm-guard area would be damaged also.

Don't try to bend it back, you'll just end up cracking it. Take it to the apple store and more than likely if you play the game they'll fix or replace it.

More than likely it was caused by being placed next to something very hot, but there's no scorching/bubbling, so I bet you could get apple to take responsibility for it.

Just don't go yelling and pointing fingers unless it's a last resort...it's best to act desperate/distraught. Maybe cry a little or give them some story about how your late grandmother gave it to you as a gift from her deathbed....:rolleyes:

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Never know what can happen with the right attitude when it comes to Apple and repairs. They usually want to make things right. They are smart enough to realize that the little things they do to help a customer out, even if they "shouldn't" do it, can make the customer want to do business exclusively with Apple. Not saying they will or won't do anything, but your chances are much higher if you approach it kindly, and ask the right things the right way. I've only ever experienced one argument in my local Apple store, and that was because some idiot went in there hot headed and screaming at the employee assisting them. They got turned away immediately without being assisted, where had they been calm and nice, they may have been even though their problem was nothing to do with anything Apple covered. On the other side, once my wife went in because her earbud speakers weren't working, we didn't have another set/external speaker/another computer at that time, to test the port, so she took her MBP in. Turned out the port was fine, but the headphones were dead. They weren't even Apple brand, but she bought a copy of Snow Leopard that day, and they gave her a set of earbud headphones. She didn't ask, they just pulled them from the shelf and put them in her bag. Being polite can go a long way in the Apple store. And it worked. I will never do business with another company or store, when it comes to my computer needs. Even if I can get the same thing a little cheaper. It's worth it to me.

(I realize earbuds are a whole other ball of wax, I'm just saying sometimes they do far more than they are obligated to do, simply because of your attitude.)

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
If Apple doesn't want to fix it, I would take a dremel to it, and "cut out" the part that dipps down the furthest.

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
Never know what can happen with the right attitude when it comes to Apple and repairs. They usually want to make things right. They are smart enough to realize that the little things they do to help a customer out, even if they "shouldn't" do it, can make the customer want to do business exclusively with Apple. Not saying they will or won't do anything, but your chances are much higher if you approach it kindly, and ask the right things the right way. I've only ever experienced one argument in my local Apple store, and that was because some idiot went in there hot headed and screaming at the employee assisting them. They got turned away immediately without being assisted, where had they been calm and nice, they may have been even though their problem was nothing to do with anything Apple covered. On the other side, once my wife went in because her earbud speakers weren't working, we didn't have another set/external speaker/another computer at that time, to test the port, so she took her MBP in. Turned out the port was fine, but the headphones were dead. They weren't even Apple brand, but she bought a copy of Snow Leopard that day, and they gave her a set of earbud headphones. She didn't ask, they just pulled them from the shelf and put them in her bag. Being polite can go a long way in the Apple store. And it worked. I will never do business with another company or store, when it comes to my computer needs. Even if I can get the same thing a little cheaper. It's worth it to me.

(I realize earbuds are a whole other ball of wax, I'm just saying sometimes they do far more than they are obligated to do, simply because of your attitude.)

I wasn't planing on going in there guns blazing ! I agree with you that by being courteous the Geniuses are more likely to be helpful...quite normal really ! :)

I will be kind and I'm sure they'll at least fix it !

...and I as well, even with this slight problem, will only do business with Apple, sure :apple: is a standard in the film industry (in which I work)...but still the best computers around imo ! :cool:

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I wasn't planing on going in there guns blazing ! I agree with you that by being courteous the Geniuses are more likely to be helpful...quite normal really ! :)

Oh! I wasn't trying to imply that you were going to be a jerk or something :)

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
having owned a preunibody MBP, I can say these bends happen all over the place but not without a drop, even off the side of the bed onto soft carpet will cause twists and bend on the preunibody's case :rolleyes:

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
Oh! I wasn't trying to imply that you were going to be a jerk or something :)

Oh, I didn't understand your comment that way either ! I'm sure you're someone nice !

having owned a preunibody MBP, I can say these bends happen all over the place but not without a drop, even off the side of the bed onto soft carpet will cause twists and bend on the preunibody's case

Wouldn't the upper part of the case be damaged as well...I mean, the part that is bent is a hard place to get to !

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
So I went to the Apple Store today and the Genius was surprised at first with my problem as it was the first time he saw that...After a couple of minutes speaking and the usual "accidental damage is not covered" speech, he went in the back of the store and came back with my optical drive repaired and working :)))

Another happy customer !

Thanks for y'alls advice and responses !

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
see that is awesome! I agree that Apple goes SO FAR BEYOND what they need to for customers. May "cost" them in present time, but they gain many repeat customers for life, and word of mouth is stronger than any advertisement campaigns.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
This is clearly a fabrication defect...maybe the heat in that area softened the plastic and it bent naturally...

Ran for a while and and just went boom.. Yeah, fabrication defect alright. Be happy they replaced it.

titatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
Ran for a while and and just went boom.. Yeah, fabrication defect alright. Be happy they replaced it.

might be...

I doubt they replaced the case though, he came back after only a few minutes, he probably just used the right tool and clipped it back in...

i'm just grateful for good customer service and a working optical drive ! :D

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
So I went to the Apple Store today and the Genius was surprised at first with my problem as it was the first time he saw that...After a couple of minutes speaking and the usual "accidental damage is not covered" speech, he went in the back of the store and came back with my optical drive repaired and working :)))

Another happy customer !

Thanks for y'alls advice and responses !

did they replace the bottom half of the macbook? or just the optical drive?

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
haha, plastic. Heat. You guys are funny. That's aluminum right there. this was dropped or hit by something, just not where you think it was. Look at the picture, the impact is over to the far left.
How do I know? I have one exactly like this, hit near the same spot. I'm glad they fixed it for you. Likely they just bent it back, like I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.