Bent Unibody - Gap between body and display normal? (Pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lennyisland, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lennyisland macrumors newbie

Hi!
    (First of all.. i'm not from america so my english may not be the best but I thoght about posting here 'cause I may get some help here )

I have a unibody MacBookPro 2,53 Ghz!
    After having it a while I noticed that my unibody is bent a little.. I have a gap (on the left side it is more than on the right side) of 2mm!

But it seems, that not the display is warped but the unibody!

Is this "normal" ? Or should i replace it?
    I have some pictures here for you to see how it looks like:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m173/lennyisland/DSCN4318.jpg
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m173/lennyisland/DSCN4331.jpg
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m173/lennyisland/DSCN4315.jpg
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m173/lennyisland/DSCN4336.jpg

I would be very happy about some answers

Have a nice day!
    Lenny

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

3. lennyisland thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i know it is kinda picky but i spend a lot of money and then my case is bowed... so i just want to know how it looks on your unibody mpbs.. (so the question is mainly to persons who own a unibody mbP) :)

greets

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

looks pretty normal to me. I probably have the same amount of gap as you do.. which isnt much at all.

5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Hi Lenny,

Your English was just fine. But pictures speak for themselves. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Your MBP should not have a gap like that. It actually looks bowed. You need to return it for an exchange.

6. lennyisland thread starter macrumors newbie

@FarSeide: Well the gap isn't the big deal.. but the bowed unibody. it isn't much but i can see it with my eyes when i look along the edge of the unibody!

so how is it on yours? like on my pictures? or different.

i see that the opinions are different!
    So PeterKG your MBP isn't bowed in any way? mh..

7. be300test macrumors member

agreed, gap isnt a issue, that bowed top is very very trouble some. i would have that repaired. not good and looks like crap.

good luck lenny

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

IMO If that was mine I would return it. Some people my say you're picky, but if you're not happy, return it.

9. hippo206 macrumors 6502

you would have HATED the previous generations. I personally got lucky on all my MBP as they all had perfectly closing and gapless lids, but some of the others in my company had to return thier MBP's several times before the got a "perfect" one.

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You will not get a replacement for that, its too smaller defect.

My MBP Lid curves up at either edge by a few mm, i learnt to live with it as there was no way it was getting swapped.

11. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Hi Lenny,

You can see that the lid is bowed. Not good. This could cause stress on the glass and cause it to crack. Then you would have to prove to Apple you didn't break the glass. If you have had for a while, call Apple Care. You need to have it replaced or repaired. And no, I have no bowed top that is causing a gap like yours. Good luck!

12. lennyisland thread starter macrumors newbie

well.. seems like i'm the only one here with this problem! :(

i'll go to an apple store the next days

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What exactly am I looking for here?
    I don't see anything out of the ordinary..

14. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I really don't care one bit what anyone else here says - I am considering buying a unibody MBP for coding; had it got one single bend, dent, scuff, scratch or creaky hinge, I wouldn't sit about pondering whether or not to return it - back it would go, and so I would continue until I got a PERFECT result!.

£1,000+ is not cheap for a machine (but who wants cheap?!), and Apple are renowned for quality, and if you just "put up" with it, you are a fool. Be as meticulous and finicky as Jonathan Ive himself is - after all, it's YOUR money, not Apple's, and certainly not that of anyone else here. You've stumped up the reddies, so you have every right to expect it to be perfection itself!.

I have never had ANY defect with Apple products... but they're human too, and manufacturing errors obviously happen. Would Steve Jobs expect ANYTHING less than perfection? no, and I'm sure he wouldn't expect you to, either.

Go for it!

<sidenote> My Fujitsu Siemens laptop is less than 2 months old, and creaks on both sides when you hold it - even gently!. With Apple, you actually DO get what you pay for - immaculate products (normally :D). </sidenote>

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

If its within the 14 days, they probabaly will replace it. I seen Macbooks/Pros replaced for less.

16. lennyisland thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortanely it is not in the 14 days

nobody here has this problem with his unibody macbook pro? :/

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Thats the exclusion, after that its pretty hard to get it replaced, only fixed.

18. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

OP, please do not listen to people like this person and do what you have to do to get your money's worth out of Apple products.

Even if you are beyond the 14 days, they might exchange it for you since it is way easier and cheaper to sell it as a refurbished rather than fix it for you.

Let us know and good luck :)

19. lennyisland thread starter macrumors newbie

well how can this happen? i thought that some others here would have the same problem but it seems like it's not like that..

i will see what i can do.. :(

i waited so long for my mbp an why does mine have this problem? :(
    ahrg!

20. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

@OP: Wade through the nonsensical comments, and focus your mind on the issue in hand; stop worrying about what Apple will/won't say or do, and just bite the bullet and get on with returning the MBP - you *ARE* entitled to some recompence, so long as it was not your fault.

Apple's customer service is renowned to be incredible, so unless you damaged it yourself, I'd just close this ridiculous waste of time thread, go out there and get some results!. I don't mean to be accusational, but are you SURE it was supplied as damaged?. I'm inclined to think that if this is the case, you'd have noticed it MUCH earlier, and have already returned it. Benefit of the doubt is given, however.

21. lennyisland thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what you mean.

Apple won't change it..

Anyway it's in my interest whether anybody else has the same problem!

22. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

Ditto, I got the lines on my screen and I'm getting it replaced as we speak, but some people on the thread were actully keeping theres hoping its a software issue when its clearly the GPU!

23. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Might be a very small problem but I'm in a similar situation with mine. Had a dent on the left palm rest towards the edge. Definitely wouldn't notice it was there if I hadn't gone over the area with my finger to see any defects but it's definitely a dent. It's going back no matter how small and insignificant the cosmetic defect is.

24. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Is this a company issued laptop from Boeing? Becuase it looks like your lid has boed.
    :D

I'm surprised Apple didn't replace it.

25. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

thats a hater statement if i ever heard one. Just cause you didnt try and do soMething about it dont mean he cant try and see what happens