Bento 4 Update Now $9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KPOM, Sep 20, 2011.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Unfortunately, the copy I was given by Apple for free doesn't qualify for the upgrade pricing (no big surprise, although I was slightly disappointed). Good deal though. Just the label printing makes Bento 4 much more useful than Bento 2.

jW

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wish they'd have something for potential new customers :(

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I have tried this product in the past. Always the same outcome, lacking pro features. I guess I can't see what all the draw is with the program.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I wish I could come up with a use for it. I bought v2 on a whim and opened it twice.

6. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I bought a digital copy of the upgrade last week for £24.99 as the upgrade was strongly recommended for Lion users.

After reading this, I checked the UK FileMaker site and saw that they are also offering this deal - it's equivalent to £6.49.

I contacted customer support to ask if I can get a refund for the difference, and they say they are working on an additional rebate to match the current offer. They said this should be live in the next couple of days…

Good customer service!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This probably why it doesn't fit your needs, Bento is a consumer product.

I was looking for a solution that I could organize and maintain my karate notes. Up to this point, I found a word document lacking, numbers was cutting but excel came closest but it lacked iPad syncing. Plus organizing the notes (moves/combinations/katas/definitions) wasn't not as fluid and easy in excel as its more designed for numbers.

Bento fits that need quite well and to that end, I now can review/edit/add new moves on my iPad and sync with my desktop (or vice versa). Printing them out produces a clean product that I can take if hard copy is needed.

8. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I love Bento. I didn't need anything as complex as FileMaker, although I did use that extensively back when I had my Mac Quadra, but after that died went to PC's and now back with Mac.

As for Bento, I keep track of a Photography Club from work that I am the membership chairman of, I have special files for vacations that I am planning, vacation diaries, auto maintenance records, recipes. and I love the label printing features.

I am constantly finding new uses for this application that I didn't think I'd use it for. Sometimes just sampling or looking at one of the many available templates on the bento website sparks a new idea or usage for it.

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Oh yes, I understand that. Thought I could push it for my needs- I couldn't.

My own fault, not theirs.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem ;)

I wished they did add more functionality like joining tables and what not, but in the end I found for 50 bucks its the best solution to my simple needs. :D

11. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I was a beta tester for the first version and the carping from the two camps was interesting.

One was the 'It needs more features because we don't want to buy full Filemaker' and the other camp was the 'It needs less features or we'll look like idiots for buying Filemaker'.

So many heated discussions on what feature should be included and why. We won a few of those arguments but lost many others. It was interesting doing the testing. I panicked my iMac with the first version that I installed. First time I had ever done that. Never got a copy of the product either for the effort. Oh well...

12. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

...you can't do JOINs? Really? I downloaded the trial of Bento 4, as I'm looking for something to help organise all of the PDFs, e-books and images I use and keep a hold of for historical research, but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

But if it can't do JOINs, what is the point in using it? What it makes it better than making a 'flat' database on a spreadsheet? Just to be sure, this isn't sarcasm, but a genuine question. Is the only advantage that you can make a frontend/form?

13. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

ROFLMFAO

It's called File Maker PRO.... and I'm thinking you already realize this.

It's a great program and has good use for business professionals of some kinds. I could never justify File Maker for my needs, but if you need a pro product, it's called don't be cheap and hope for the $49 consumer product to become File Maker

14. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Upgrade problem

The $9 upgrade is a good deal and I purchased it. Problem is that my download is the Trial version and the menu item for entering my software number is grayed out. Any thoughts other than calling the filemaker folks?

15. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Problem solved

Never mind. Tried it again and all is ok. Must be Duh-day.

16. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Anybody know if this special is still running? I actually won a copy of Bento 3 from a local Apple reseller, didn't realize that it was the prior version until I picked it up. They told me that it wasn't compatible with Lion but that I could upgrade it for $9. I haven't installed it yet because I want to be sure I can upgrade it first. Can I do it through the App Store once installed or do I have to go straight through the Filemaker site? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Okay, just answered part of my own question. I noticed there was a link in the first post so I clicked on it. Duh! The upgrade is available through November 11, 2011. Still curious if I have to go through the Filemaker site or if I can use App Store, though.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

All deals like this will have to go through the company, because Apple doesn't offer any way for companies to offer upgrade discounts via the App Store.

jW