Bento, anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Morod, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Sorry, this is not a lunch invitation.
    Does anyone use Bento database? Do you like it?
    I would be using it for personal collections and keeping up with lists on one Apple computer. So for me, it looks good. (I just found out about it on a Macworld.com review). So I thought I'd ask to see if anyone out there is actually using it. Looks easy to learn and doesn't cost too much. Did I mention I hate working with spreadsheets? :eek:
    Thanks for any info,
    Morod

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm using the trial right now. From what I have seen so far I just might purchase it.

I like the simple way to do home inventory for instance.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the input, ID. Home inventory is a big thing these days, especially considering how fast it can change. A question. Can you add pictures to the description of the item in the inventory? I just found the Bento on Amazon for $45 and free shipping. Think I'm gonna go for it!
    Morod

4. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I use Bento, it really is a great app. I struggled for years with its big brother Filemaker but with Bento I finally 'get' and use databases. I would not hesitate to recommend it; compliments iWork perfectly as well.

5. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Looks like I can answer my own question. Pictures can be added to descriptions, according to the video tutorials on Filemaker's Bento site:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/tours.html?homepage=bento_demo

This appears to be an app that will get used a lot! I can understand why Apple doesn't bundle it with Work or iLife, but it sure would've been nice of them if they did.
    Morod

6. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

That's why it's almost perfect for home inventory. :)

7. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am also considering Bento. Would there be any reason to purchase from Amazon if you can download the software?

8. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I think it might be slightly cheaper to get it from Amazon, but I would just prefer to download it and not wait for a box.

:)

9. TheQuestion macrumors regular

gave it a go, very nice little app in a charming country-bumpkinish way. Coming from FMP though, well, it's like going from Final Cut to imovie '08. Your mileage may vary.