Bento for database

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by discman, Apr 28, 2010.

1. discman macrumors newbie

I've been using MS Access for years on PC to keep track of about 500 names between a couple different groups. And then started using on my macbook with Parallels. But I would prefer using a mac native app for this. So I'm wondering if Bento would be a good choice and if so, how I can transfer the MS Access data to Bento? I'm also aware of File Maker Pro, but don't think I would really need everything it can do.

Steve

2. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

From the google:

3. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You might try using this on the Access data, which you should be able to bring over to Bento.

mt

4. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Back in the day of System 7, I used FileMaker Pro at a children's hospital. It was powerful at the time.

Now I use Bento, but not because Bento meets all of my needs. I use it because there is Bento for the iPhone and my needs require me to have 2 databases with me when my wife shops for music.

My view of this is Bento is a list maker of sorts. It does some very simple things well. Need something more complicated, you need to go one of two routes: 1) FileMaker Pro or 2) MySQL and a programmed front-end.

Option 2 requires a lot more work but also gives you complete access via the SQL language. Option 1 is going to be more costly than option 2 but is also a TON easier.

:)

Take care,