Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I've been using MS Access for years on PC to keep track of about 500 names between a couple different groups. And then started using on my macbook with Parallels. But I would prefer using a mac native app for this. So I'm wondering if Bento would be a good choice and if so, how I can transfer the MS Access data to Bento? I'm also aware of File Maker Pro, but don't think I would really need everything it can do.

Steve

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
From the google:

You would need to export your Access tables into CSV files (I'm not sure if Access does a direct CSV export but I think it does) and then import the CSV files into Bento. Obviously any queries or forms would need to be recreated.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Back in the day of System 7, I used FileMaker Pro at a children's hospital. It was powerful at the time.

Now I use Bento, but not because Bento meets all of my needs. I use it because there is Bento for the iPhone and my needs require me to have 2 databases with me when my wife shops for music.

My view of this is Bento is a list maker of sorts. It does some very simple things well. Need something more complicated, you need to go one of two routes: 1) FileMaker Pro or 2) MySQL and a programmed front-end.

Option 2 requires a lot more work but also gives you complete access via the SQL language. Option 1 is going to be more costly than option 2 but is also a TON easier.

:)

Take care,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.