Bento - I like

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pbbaker123, Dec 18, 2007.

1. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Well, my first trip through Bento was very lackluster. I have an older version of filemaker, but I actually hate filemaker...

However, I received a new project at work and spent two weeks bending the project manager in Entourage to make it work.. it does not. I tried DayLite from Market Circle, which was close, but no way to query and reporting was hell to set up...

So, I tried Bento one more time. After a couple of days of creating new libraries (modifying existing templates) and using related lists tables, I have found an application that fits my exact needs.

I now find this to be a very worth-while application.

Has anyone else had a chance to really get into it?

2. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I like Bento as well. I am by no means a database wizard and have always struggled learning Filemaker (I also have a copy) but Bento was a breath of fresh air. I finally 'got' databases when I used it. For a home/small business user it is a wonderfully powerful app.

Filemaker will be getting my 49 bucks in Jan for sure. :)

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I don't like Bento.

It's a very big hassle to move my AppleWorks databases to Bento (view in list in AppleWorks > paste into Numbers > export to .csv (& lose any formatting) > import into Bento &, finally, recreate any layouts.

The biggest problem I see is the single database file. How can I share my church databases without including my personal ones? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would need to share individual databases/libraries/collections but not everything.

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Is that going to be the cost for sure? I was wondering, but couldn't find it posted anywhere.

5. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

That is one issue that I had... I don't want to share the entire Address Book or Calendar, I only want certain groups or certain caledars, not my personal stuff.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

7. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

How well does Bento import Address Book and iCal data? Does Address Book formatting remain intact?

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And here I thought you guys were going to be talking about food. ;)