Berklee College of Music

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ZiggyPastorius, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I have some questions if anyone responds yes, but for now, I'll just ask:

Does anyone here attend, or is anyone an alumni of Berklee College of Music in Boston? I'm a prospective student, and I just wondered if anyone else is or has been there as a student :) (or faculty, perhaps?)

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

sorry i don't meet any of your needs, but i have a very good friend who goes there and loves everything about it. she loves the classes, the teachers and the campus and city atmsophere

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

While I did not attend BCM I have several close friends that attended the school and were overall pleased with their program and they most likely could answer a question or two. If you feel comfortable posting them I will be happy to pass them along (though I may have to threaten one friend in order to get a timely response).

4. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ah, well, they were mostly just like Mac specific questions and the basics. What kinds of things made it worth the costliness of the college? Like, for me, one of the big things is that the Fretless Electric Bass, my principal instrument, can actually be my principal instrument, instead of the upright. That kind of stuff, and I was also wondering if any of them had ever bought a 17" Macbook Pro on their own and just had that replace the 15" included in Berklee's laptop program and bought the software separately, and wondered if that was perhaps a good idea or not. Stuff to that nature. Also, if anybody who's on here did attend Berklee, I would like to maybe have some general discussion about the college and stuff :) It's getting closer to that time, and I think I've set my heart on Berklee, after visiting it and a bunch of others, comparing them, et cetera. Thanks for the replies, guys.

5. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Not too sure about what they did with the laptop program. Two of my friends both owned multiple Macs before they attended BCM, and used them throughout their time there.

As to understanding the costliness of the school, you are paying for the name and for the reputation (along with the education). Not knocking any of the major schools, but that is just "part of it", as many of the hardcore programs come with hardcore price tags. As an ABD (all but dissertation) in Music Composition I can testify to the high cost of some of the schools. :p

Anyway, I just saw your post right as I was logging off. I will email those questions out and see what I get back, hopefully by monday.

6. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

That's really cool! I'm not sure what that acronym means, but, that's still pretty cool. I understand a lot of it is the private-ness and the name, but, I think it's worth it, from what I've found. That's cool that you majored in Composition, perhaps if you'd PM me sometime, I could share my composition for (almost) full orchestra that will be played by our school band/orchestra for our spring concert this year :) And we could maybe discuss music composition. At this point in time, I think I will probably get a Master's and go into post-secondary education, but I'm torn between composition, theory, technology, and just a major study in my principal instrument. I got a lot of work to do! Peace!