Berlin Hotel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Sep 20, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can anyone suggest anything? I'm hoping to stay at around 100 euros a night (maybe less if the dollar goes down the toilet even further :D) and something near the U-Bahn or S-Bahn. Don't need anything fancy, but I don't want a dump either. I've found a couple online that I'm considering, but if anyone can throw any more ideas out there, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would suggest the Econtel on Sommeringstraße. It has very reasonable pricing, the rooms are quite nice for what you pay (compared to what's in America, I'd say that they're nicer). It's only about two blocks from the Mierendorffplatz U-Bahn station. Assuming that you're not flying into schonefeld, it's only a stone's throw from Tegel.

The only downsides that I've ever come across there is that you cannot leave the building with your room key; it needs to be turned into the front desk. However, you'll never lose your key and thus never need to pay to replace it. Additionally, they don't do a very good job with early wakeup calls. I mean like really early... like before 4am. If you've got an early flight, don't count on them to be calling your room to wake you. However, I've never had them miss a call after 4.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm flying in and out of Tegel so that should be convenient. What's the best way to get from TXL to a hotel anyways? I know the U and S bahns don't go out to TXL.

My plane leaves TXL at 7:10 AM, so I will need an early wake up call. I'll just use my iPhone's alarm or something

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

A cab would probably be fine. I think that it's less than 3km from the hotel to the airport, so your fare would probably be less than €5 each way. If your flight doesn't leave until 7:10, you should be fine with the wake up call. You could easily slide out of your room at 6. For some reason, LH doesn't open their counters at TXL in the morning until 5:55 for the munich flight, 6:10 for the frankfurt flight. Because of the airport's design (check-in and security are both in front of your specific gate) it's really hard to miss a flight unless you arrive after check-in for your gate has closed for that flight.