Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi was hospitalised this evening after being clobbered in the face with a model of Milan Cathedral. The wielder of the souvenir, a 42 year old protester named Massimo Tartaglia, was arrested at the scene.

Berlusconi had just finished giving a speech to his party supporters when the attack occurred. He is reported to have suffered two cracked teeth, a broken nose and cuts to the face.

Reports that Pope Benedict XVI was in some way involved were immediately dismissed as being completely made up by me.

BBC News

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Silvio Berlusconi in hospital after being punched in the face. Police are questioning 2 million married men.

via Twitter. :D

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Or as fark put it "Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi struck in face by flying cathedral " :)

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi was hospitalised this evening after being clobbered in the face with a model of Milan Cathedral. The wielder of the souvenir, a 42 year old protester named Massimo Tartaglia, was arrested at the scene....

The respect due to heads of state has steadily eroded by alleged "protestors" who resort to violence to make their statement... I hope this alleged protestor is heavily punished, hopefully for the rest of his life. No I don't support Berlusconi here, nor do I agree with him on much. But this type of protest seems to suggest violence is somehow acceptable and it should be heavily punished.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi was hospitalised this evening after being clobbered in the face with a model of Milan Cathedral.

Yeah that cathedral is nothing to sneeze at, its HUGE and SHARP...

Milan-Cathedral.jpg

When I saw it in person I was really taken aback by how big it actually was.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I actually laughed when I saw it, guy had it coming to him, there's an italian in my media theory class that always has negative things to say about his government.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
The respect due to heads of state has steadily eroded by alleged "protestors" who resort to violence to make their statement... I hope this alleged protestor is heavily punished, hopefully for the rest of his life. No I don't support Berlusconi here, nor do I agree with him on much. But this type of protest seems to suggest violence is somehow acceptable and it should be heavily punished.
This "protester" has been shown to have a history of mental problems* and is currently on medication as a result. At the moment we have no idea as to his motives or state of mind, so wishing life long punishment is a little premature.

*Source : His own father on the Corriere della Sera website.

Yeah that cathedral is nothing to sneeze at, its HUGE and SHARP...

When I saw it in person I was really taken aback by how big it actually was.
Could have been worse. He could have been clobbered by the Dom der Köln. That one's shaped to go right up your nostrils :D

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France

What a mean spirited person. "Life" for the momentary act of an ill person? Beggars belief. If you extended this to politicians you seem so motivated to protect I'd back you 100% I'd love Sarko, Blair & Brown, Bush & Obama etc etc etc in gaol for their acts of violence. And all the intelligence agencies that supported the call to war with lies. Yep, it's prison for the NSA, CIA, Mossad, MOD. I like your idea more and more actually. I'll just add an exclusion for the general public and we'll vote it in. How do we vote it in again?

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá

"the respect due to heads of state" your having a laugh. It's a shame the rest of the populace didn't finish the job off.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

How dare you talk about "respect due to heads of state" when your very existence on this forum has been to do nothing other than disrespect the US head of state with lies and propaganda.

Heavily punished for the rest of his life? :face palm:

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
"the respect due to heads of state" your having a laugh.

The climate of hate in Italy by those that can't tolerate dissent and resort to violence is epidemic... sad that some applaud and foster this intolerance for dissent!

Some say attack on Berlusconi reflects climate of hate in Italy
The Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/14/AR2009121403480.html
Defense Minister Ignazio La Russa, who said he saved the attacker from a public lynching in Milan's main square, said the attack was not an isolated case but rather the result of an "unprecedented" hate campaign mounted against Berlusconi. Political forces and editorial groups were instilling "hatred," he said, mentioning the "No B Day" protest mounted in Rome by tens of thousands of demonstrators last week.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
LOL. La Russa is a right drama queen! He just loves to overblow every situation. Take everything he says with a pinch of salt :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Practice what you preach. I think we should lock you away for the rest of your life due to some of the things you have said on this forum about President Obama that could easily be considered disrespecting a head of state :rolleyes:

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Attitudes in Italy seem strong in condemnation of this attack on Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi; this sentiment from Torino was reflected quite a bit within the nation:

"No matter what your opinion is of our PM, if you want democracy you must condemn this attack."
Martina Giraudo, Torino, Italy

No matter though for those few radicals that condemn dissent of opinion and resort to acts of violence and advocate such in their "protest," and of course those lacking basic intellect that can't see a difference between harmless dissent and those resorting to violence in their political protest!

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Attitudes in Italy seem strong in condemnation of this attack on Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi; this sentiment from Torino was reflected quite a bit within the nation:

"No matter what your opinion is of our PM, if you want democracy you must condemn this attack."
Martina Giraudo, Torino, Italy

No matter though for those few radicals that condemn dissent of opinion and resort to acts of violence and advocate such in their "protest," and of course those lacking basic intellect that can't see a difference between harmless dissent and those resorting to violence in their political protest!

You seem to basing attitudes in Italy by one random comment on a BBC page.That is a bit like guessing attitudes of USians on one post in the PSRI forum.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
You seem to basing attitudes in Italy by one random comment on a BBC page.That is a bit like guessing attitudes of USians on one post in the PSRI forum.
Italy is pretty split down the middle in their attitudes towards Berlusconi. They either love or hate him, and it's something he himself loves to play to. For instance, here's a great quote from him today about the situation:-
Grazie di cuore ai tantissimi che mi hanno mandato messaggi di vicinanza e di affetto. Ripeto a tutti di stare sereni e sicuri. L'amore vince sempre sull'invidia e sull'odio.
which translates to "Thanks from my heart to all those that have sent me messages of (neighbourly) friendship and affection. I repeat to you all to stay calm and secure. Love always wins over envy and hatred."

The bold bit is classic Berlusconi. He's saying that those that love him will win over those that hate him. Even as he tells everyone to stay calm he insults and taunts his opponents :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.