Beryl/Compiz question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bloodycape, May 26, 2007.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Is it possible to get Beryl or Compiz to install and work on OSX? Or is there something similar that I can install to give me the same features? Thank you.

2. boobooq88 macrumors regular

As a fellow linux user myself (I am currently waiting to get my 1st mac too :) ) I do not believe it is possible to get either of them to work on Mac OS X. Because that would require the apps to be ported, as well as xgl to be ported, and that the graphics card drivers would need to support the effects.

I do know that there is VirtueDesktop or something like that that can do a flippy cube effect for Mac OS X.

But I must say that I will miss using Beryl while on my Mac (once I get it) :( but at least I'll have a 2nd comp running on opensuse 10.2 when I want to have fun with it :D

3. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

4. boobooq88 macrumors regular

Not too sure as I have never used it myself (never owned a mac) but have read up on it and looked up some vids on youtube and stuff. It seems to be pretty good but I would ask someone else on the forums that has it. ;)

5. hopejr macrumors 6502

VirtueDesktop is just a multiple desktop manager. Spaces is a similar thing in Leopard. It just has fancy transitions when switching desktops.

6. krazykeith250 macrumors newbie

I have been looking for quite some time to find something like this but unfortunatly have failed.

But, what I did find is some thing that works with spaces, or if you have tiger, gives you spaces. This is not the virtuedesktop or what ever is is. This is something that is like spaces but, you can edit the transition between desktops (one of which is a cube.)

THe only thing is, you can no move al around, it just a transition, but it is still lots of fun:)

It is called- desktop manager

here is a video demonstration of it (PS I did not make it)- http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-use-desktop-manager-for-tiger-204499/

Make sure to go to system prefs>users>login items and add it to the login items or you will have to launch it manually at boot up or login

There is a special one for intel macs, but there is also one for PPC ones (which I am using)

hope this helps!