Besides Drupal?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Les Kern, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I have been having a lot of fun playing around with Drupal (www.leskern.net), and am impressed with it's ease of use, extensibility and of course its cost. I was wondering (in order to satisfy my curiosity and feed my hobby of "messing around") whether there is another open source content management system out there anyone has had experience with. I have also played with Moodle for the place I work, and that, while somewhat tough to install and manage, is pretty nice for education.
    Thanks.

Oh, and I also purchased vBulletin, what MacRumours uses. and something called ImageFolio.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

There's Joomla and Wordpress.

Personally between Drupal, Joomla, and Wordpress I lean towards Wordpress. It seems to strike the best balance between customizability versus complexity.

Just my $.02

3. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Wordpress is probably the easiest CMS out there to get started with. I prefer Drupal for complex sites because its support for differing content types and category/tagging/taxonomy systems as well as query output ("Views" in Drupal parlance) is more mature and (arguably) easier to work with, giving it immense flexibility as a content database.

4. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

5. ezkimo macrumors regular

I'm not positive what you're referring to since I don't use Drupal, but Wordpress 3.0 has custom taxonomies, custom post types and the wpdb dclass for querying the database built in.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Yes, but the custom post types and taxonomies are relatively new features for Wordpress, and not nearly as mature and fully developed as in Drupal's. Drupal was built from the ground up around the notion of differing content types, and there's an endless series of tools for managing and expanding up on them. The menu system is more flexible too, for instance.

Drupal is a robust CMS that can be used for blogging. Wordpress is a world-class blog engine that's just starting to learn how to be a CMS.

8. KimKnox macrumors newbie

List of some CMS

Here you have a list of some CMS. Have fun!

cmsMadeSimple
    CMSimple
    Dédalus
    Dragonfly CMS
    Dynamicweb CMS
    Kleophatra CMS
    Mambo
    OpenCms
    TYPOLight
    Website Baker

9. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Played with WP, and to tell the truth Drupal is more what I want. Its extensibility is incredible.

10. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

More homework! thanks.

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

12. smirking macrumors 6502a

LOL, ease of use isn't something you hear associated with Drupal often. It is incredibly powerful and like splitpea, I agree that if you're doing a really complex site, Drupal is the way to go. I've tried some sites that employed some really wicked Wordpress mods, but once all that functionality got introduced into Wordpress, it was not surprising to find it not so easy to use anymore.

Be prepared for a very steep learning curve if you're using Drupal though. It's kinda its own language and there are so many ways to use it.

BTW, here are some must have Drupal Modules:

Admin Menu
    Views
    Insert View
    CCK
    Devel
    Devel Theme Developer
    Upload Image
    Image Attach
    LoginToboggan
    Page Title
    Wysiwyg

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Obviously it all depends on what you want to do. I run a website for a summer camp and since we're all volunteers (and I'm no web design expert) I wanted something that was simple, simple, simple to maintain and edit. I looked at Joomla, and Drupal, and CMS Made Simple, and Silver Stripe, and was leaning toward the latter but was dreading the thought of sitting down and coding. On a whim I tried WordPress, and I was quickly hooked.

(Actually, the hardest part of the whole experience was finding a theme that would look good, suit our site content, and not look generic.)

This is my site (a work in progress, of course, but I think it's coming along nicely, and certainly light years ahead of what I had before.) Forgive the broken images... a late-at-night deletion goof that I'll fix when I get home from work tonight.

There is a huge community of support and an enormous array of plugins and widgets, and I'm excited about the possibilities. For a fairly simple site, I think WordPress makes a great lightweight CMS.

14. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

IMPRESSIVE.
    Will give this one a shot, and thanks.