Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RxMac

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Push notification would be so apps could send updates without having to be launched. For example, have you ever IM'd?? I could receive IMs and be signed on all the time on AIM, without having to have the app open. Weather, say my county gets a tornado warning, weatherbug could notify me of this without me having to open weatherbug and check. I am sure there are many of possibilities depending on the various apps.......

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Can someone post some specific examples as to how push will benefit them?

Weather alerts, instant messages without the app running, RSS feed updates when they happen, traffic alerts through Google Maps, app update notifications...

Basically, just look at what you can do with applications running in the background on your computer. That's what the push notification is supposed to do but without sucking as much battery life.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
calendars and address book! I don't have to plug the phone in to sync it, it just does it over the air which is AWESOME!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.