Besides gaming, is Iris Pro good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by linkgx1, Jan 23, 2014.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I'm about amount away from getting my 1st Mac ever. But...I'm still deciding on which one to get. I think I'm going to get a 15'', but I'm wondering a discrete GPU would be worth it as it comands a $600 premium over a base rMBP.

I'm a gamer, but I have an Xbox 360 and built a computer with these specs:

[​IMG]
    (I'm waiting for Watchdogs to get the GPU)

So I don't believe I need a GPU in the Macbook Pro.

Now, I will probably do some programming and Photoshop work. Maybe even a little Aperture and Logic Pro. Will the Iris be good enough? Thanks! :D

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The iris pro 5200 will defiantly do the job fine. Graphic intense apps/games, not so much, put seeing as your PC eats any Mac any day, you shouldn't have any issues.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's more than enough for work and it's saves quite a bit of power too!

Personally I would have gotten the top end model without the 750M, but alas mine was a warranty replacement.

4. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

Apple computers aren't slouches, but I would recommend a PC. My rMBP 15" gets very hot when playing games on Windows because Windows doesn't recognize the dual GPUs and defaults to using the most powerful one in there. Because of this, it always runs hot when playing games.

Get a PC for games, but don't underestimate a Mac for other basic tasks such as web-browsing, music, etc.

5. leman macrumors 604

Yes, the Iris Pro is more then adequate for those tasks.

You really didn't read the thread, did you? :D

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

When would you ever be running Windows to play games, but want to be running on the iGPU? It would run just as hot playing games if it could use the iGPU because it would want to use the dGPU anyway.

7. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

I'm sure that Iris Pro can run Halo 2 just fine. I would much rather use my iGPU for Halo 2, and my dGPU for games such as Flight Simulator X and those more intensive games.

----------

Haha, new here. Just signed up today. This forum is confusing, I'll get used to it though.