Besides notifications and workout. What do you use the Watch for?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by audirs5, Jun 1, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Curious to hear of others uses for their watches.

Best,

Rs5

2. speedyyellow macrumors member

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can mark pills I take as taken using the WebMD app. It's just an extension of what the phone app does. I also have used it for Apple Pay a couple of times after figuring out that you have to actually open that instead of just putting the phone near the reader. The Starbucks card in Passbook works well for payments, but I do wish there was a shortcut. Chipotle looks like it has a pretty quick ordering app that takes your saved orders and lets you place them again in a few seconds all from the watch. Instagram is sorta useful, and the Remote app comes in handy if you leave your phone in another room -- but again, a shortcut to opening it would be nice.

Hey Siri works OK at times. I'm learning to make reminders for certain things on the watch. It also opens Passbook and Remote, maybe other apps that I haven't tried. If a new Apple TV model gets integrated with the watches and Siri, I might mess myself. "Hey Siri, play The Flash season 1 episode 12." Then it starts playing. That would rock.

4. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

I'm always running around and leave my phone on my desk.

Texting on the fly, confirmation emails.... Phone calls is clutch

Music controls in the car when phone is locked up or need to switch playlists/stations

I'm sure there's more.

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

- Evernote - used for grocery list this weekend so I didnt have to pull out and hold my phone while pushing a shopping cart
    - Timer/ Alarm - taking a quick nap during the day in between meetings
    - Music - was able to leave my phone in my car this weekend when going to the dog park/ beach so my phone didn't get sandy/ wet
    - ApplePay
    - and I rely on the notifications a lot, especially for work since I regularly leave my phone connected to my computer and walk away from it often so if my boss or co-workers are trying to get into contact with me, I can see it immediately
    - Texts and phone calls...either when I leave my phone somewhere or else while driving

6. wolfpackfan, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Here are the apps I use mostly -

Notifications
    Apple Pay
    Golf GPS
    Starbucks
    Workout
    Music Control
    Maps
    Timer
    Alarm

Notice I didn't include Glances. I find that feature totally worthless. Of the one's I listed all are equally important to me except for Notifications which I use throughout the day. Also, I don't use the phone calling as much as I thought I would. I found the sound wasn't that great and the person I talk to the most said I sound like I am in a tunnel. The two apps that have surprised me with their usefulness is Apple Pay and Maps. I just wish my Credit Union and Kroger accepted Apple Pay.

7. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Hands free Hey Siri. Reminders for any stray thought. Quick hands free maths.

Timers. I can't multitask, so to set a timer and not lose track of time is priceless. They are silent, and can be dismissed in a heartbeat without getting my phone out, so they are not annoying or stressful to use. Easy to set, easy to dismiss, easy to see how long to go - on your wrist.

Remote control for Philips Hue lights.