Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnJaNir

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Historically, the aluminum models used ion-x vs sapphire

EDIT: apple store chat agent just told me "it will be the same [as previously] for the Series 6" when inquiring specifically about the glass type on the aluminum vs stainless models.

Last edited:

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Are aluminum models more susceptible to damage with normal use?
Normal not a good word to use but looking for testimonials.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
100% yes as per my own anecdotal experience and reading others’ experiences on here. Far easier to scuff/dent the casing and cause deep scratches to the glass.

SS models and their sapphire glass can take more of a beating. Having said that if you’re not super active and/or are very careful with your electronics anyway, it may not be a big deal. Regardless I’d recommend AC.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

yes. the aluminum shows dents and the glass shows scuffs and scratches much like a phone can. it isn't like it isn't sturdy or that it is destined to get trashed... but the sapphire is far more likely to hold up and not be marked. the SS shows scratches left and right but most consider that attractive vs. scratches in aluminum which normally look bad. the SBSS and new gray SS have a DLC coating that makes them nearly impervious to scratches and those models will show the least to zero wear even over years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The 7000 series aluminum casing is extremely durable, it’s the same aluminum Apple used on the iPhone 7/6S. That said, what some members do if you participate in certain sports or in general are prone to damage, I’d advise at least a screen protector a minimum for the Ion-X Glass and a bumper case surrounds the watch Casing, but the 7000 series aluminum is the best part on that watch, being it’s durable and lightweight.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've had aluminium watches every time so far and haven't had any significant damage. An aluminium model plus AppleCare is cheaper than a stainless model and the bands are all compatible.

YMMV but imho stainless isn't worth it. I was tempted when I got my S4 but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I consider the watch as something I'll definitely replace every 2-3 years and paying double the cost for something relatively "disposable" with the same functionality doesn't make sense. For me.

I'd go see, have a look at both and make the judgement call for yourself. You can also get the aluminium without cellular (don't think you can get the SS without?) which is a no brainer for me as I have my phone on me at all times anyway. ApplePay, GPS, workouts, etc. all work without the phone without needing cellular if you don't.

YMMV.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I've had aluminium watches every time so far and haven't had any significant damage. An aluminium model plus AppleCare is cheaper than a stainless model and the bands are all compatible.

YMMV but imho stainless isn't worth it. I was tempted when I got my S4 but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I consider the watch as something I'll definitely replace every 2-3 years and paying double the cost for something relatively "disposable" with the same functionality doesn't make sense. For me.

I'd go see, have a look at both and make the judgement call for yourself. You can also get the aluminium without cellular (don't think you can get the SS without?) which is a no brainer for me as I have my phone on me at all times anyway. ApplePay, GPS, workouts, etc. all work without the phone without needing cellular if you don't.

YMMV.

No way that Ion-X Glass goes more than a couple of months without scratches. The sapphire crystal is practically impossible to scratch, and to many, that is worth the premium of stainless.

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
Used my series 2 for years without scratching it .... until earlier this year(thanks 2020) after my arm brushed against a rock wall. So it’s durable if your careful but this year I went with 6 in SS so I can just wear it without worrying about it. I understand it’s due to the price difference but it is weird that the activity focused watch is not as durable.

I mostly do strength training but I can imagine the SS models being more cumbersome for the cardio based workouts they seem to push with the Apple Watch.

Reactions: throAU

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
No way that Ion-X Glass goes more than a couple of months without scratches. The sapphire crystal is practically impossible to scratch, and to many, that is worth the premium of stainless.
Is there a difference this year with the glass or crystal? Nothing seems to be listed in tech specs.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Is there a difference this year with the glass or crystal? Nothing seems to be listed in tech specs.

Yeah there's a thread detailing the confusing regarding the lack of tech specs info regarding Ion-x vs. sapphire, as well as confusing comments from Apple Chat. But to be fair, these chat reps don't have any more info than what we see online.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
No way that Ion-X Glass goes more than a couple of months without scratches.

My S4 is 99% scratch free (and none on the face where the display is) since release.

And if I scratch it I'll either live with it or get an AppleCare repair until I upgrade.

I'm not saying SS isn't more durable. I'm saying (for me, possibly others) AL is durable enough if you don't treat it like trash, and/or are willing to live with small cosmetic defects and/or are going to upgrade reasonably often anyway.

exhibit A

Attachments

• IMG_0055 copy.jpg
    IMG_0055 copy.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.