Besides Processor: What's faster on rMBP over new MBA?

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Besides the processor, does the 15 inch rMBP have a faster bus speed, ram speed, etc., over the new MBA that just came out? Thanks.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
No, actually the MBA should be slightly faster. It has a better memory controller and everything. And benchmarks I have seen appear to reflect this (MBA getting slightly better memory scores than the rMBP despite lower CPU performance).

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
No, actually the MBA should be slightly faster. It has a better memory controller and everything. And benchmarks I have seen appear to reflect this (MBA getting slightly better memory scores than the rMBP despite lower CPU performance).
I haven't heard or seen that. The rMBP has twice the processor speed 8gb of ram. Its a totally different animal.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Space doesn't matter to me. 128gb is enough for me... Is the integrated graphics good enough for playing command and conquer type games?

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
I haven't heard or seen that. The rMBP has twice the processor speed 8gb of ram. Its a totally different animal.
Twice the processor speed?? The 13" base model has the i5-3210M CPU which is maybe 15% faster then the MBA's i5-4250U. And the Haswell CPU is a new architecture with an improved memory controller.

P.S. I am obviously not talking about the 15" rMBP here.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Is the new MBA MUCH faster than an early 08 MBP? Since the 08 MBP has the gpu... Thanks.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Is the new MBA MUCH faster than an early 08 MBP? Since the 08 MBP has the gpu... Thanks.
The MBA is MUCH faster then the 08 MBP.. that dedicated GPU is slower then the previous-yen Intel integrated graphics... and the new MBA has the current-fen one, which is 30-40% faster

Edit: read both yen and fen as gen :p

Last edited:

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Twice the processor speed?? The 13" base model has the i5-3210M CPU which is maybe 15% faster then the MBA's i5-4250U. And the Haswell CPU is a new architecture with an improved memory controller.

P.S. I am obviously not talking about the 15" rMBP here.
I understand that haswell is the new buzzword. Its a cpu for the facebook crowd. People who want long battery life but don't need power. There is nothing wrong with that.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
I understand that haswell is the new buzzword. Its a cpu for the facebook crowd. People who want long battery life but don't need power. There is nothing wrong with that.
Haswell is the fastest consumer CPU architecture on the planet :D

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
true so if the processor in the macpro's were 1.3ghz then the haswell would be faster.
I have no idea what you are talking about. The fact is, Haswell is faster then Ivy Bridge (the previous fastest architecture) clock-by-clock. Go and look at the benchmarks before you post nonsense.

P.S. And yes, it makes sense to use a slower clocked, cooler running CPU if the performance is sufficient. Or do you insist on going for groceries in a racing car? If you need performance, pick a higher-clocked model, it will outperform any other CPU.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I have no idea what you are talking about. The fact is, Haswell is faster then Ivy Bridge (the previous fastest architecture) clock-by-clock. Go and look at the benchmarks before you post nonsense.

P.S. And yes, it makes sense to use a slower clocked, cooler running CPU if the performance is sufficient. Or do you insist on going for groceries in a racing car? If you need performance, pick a higher-clocked model, it will outperform any other CPU.
The I5 processor in the rMBP is 10 to 15% faster than the I5 haswell in the MBA.