Besides unsanity's products, what other programs are considered 'haxies'?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lwcoffer2, Dec 7, 2007.

1. lwcoffer2 macrumors member

lwcoffer2

Just got a new Macbook and I want to avoid them. I have a list of third party software that I would like to install but I dont want mess with the OS. Some of the programs I am concerned with are: TinkerTool, SMC Fan Control, iStat Pro, Caffeine, Growl, Onyx and AppZapper.

Thanks.

2. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

istat pro is a widget, and the rest of the apps you mention are just that, applications. So (I don't believe) they are not considered haxies.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I have highly recommended SMC Fan Control to everyone I know with a mac, it's a necessity in my eyes, but I'm conscious about the temperatures.

Onyx is fine too, I don't think you can actually bugger up your mac using it, I haven't so far...

iStat pro is as said, only a widget, personally, I'd recommend the iStat Menu Bar app, so much quicker, no loading the dashboard just to see maybe one or 2 stats...

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In computing, a Haxie is a term which was coined by developer Unsanity to describe their products. It is a blend of "hack" and "Mac OS X". Unsanity uses it to refer to "hacks" that are specifically designed for use with its Application Enhancer (APE) software. These are typically small interface and functionality tweaks to the system or existing applications by injecting code into programs as they load.

Today, many people call such system enhancement products for Mac OS X "haxies", even though not all use APE. There are actually several techniques for injecting code into Mac OS X applications. Some methods use SIMBL (the Smart InputManager Bundle Loader), are Input Manager plug-ins themselves, or use Jonathan Rentzsch's mach_inject and mach_override or similar code. It is also possible to do code injection as an AppleScript scripting addition (osax).

From wikipedia

5. lwcoffer2 thread starter macrumors member

lwcoffer2

Thanks for the responses...funny you link wikipedia, Peace...i just found out what the term meant last week on there. :eek:

6. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

How about rephrasing the question?

"Besides unsanity's products, what other programs can royally screw up your system when updating mac os?" :D