Besides weight, why buy MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MilleDav01, Mar 16, 2015.

?

Which one?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2015.
  1. Macbook gold

20.0%
  2. MacBook air

5.0%
  3. MacBook Pro

75.0%
  1. MilleDav01 macrumors member

I am looking at the 2015 MacBook that was just released last week, it's a beautiful machine and very lightweight. I just sold my 2014 MacBook air in preparation for buying it. But now, the early reviews, say that it is on par with the performance of last year's MacBook air. So I'm assuming for the price I might as well get a 2015 MacBook air or a 2015 MacBook Pro. My needs at the moment are not hugely demanding. I need to be able to use YouTube, browse the web, write papers, do some basic research. I don't have too much need for USB ports but if I were to get the MacBook, I would definitely need to get a USB dongle.

I know my needs aren't hugely demanding, and any computer would work for it, but I would like some sense of speed because waiting does not make me a very happy person, as I'm sure most people would say. LOL but I want to feel like I'm getting something new, that's why I don't know if I want to do the MacBook air again even though it was a wonderful machine, or if I should just go out and get the MacBook Pro.

Opinions? MacBook, MacBook air, for MacBook Pro ?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay...?

For your tasks, the speed on each would be similar, thanks to their SSD drives.

Weight/size/cost would be your worry.

FWIW, I really like my 13" MBP after having an 11" Air for two years.

3. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I would probably go for the 13" pro (namely because I like the expandibility of the ports), but if you really enjoy the size and feel of the Air I would get that instead. I really don't like the price to usefulness ratio of the MacBook, especially since it's a first gen product.

For your needs they would all work perfectly well, I just try to pick based on what machine I like best, then what price I'm willing to pay; working my way down to something that matches both criteria.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

For your needs you could get away with an iPad lol but as your asking about MacBooks any of the base models will suit your needs without an issue.

5. cr2 macrumors regular

In the last few years, I have been using less and less USB. I rarely connect any USB devices. Once in a six months or so for carbon copy cloning. Printer is wireless and old fashioned USB flash is replaced by dropbox / google drive. Having said that, I will still be comfortable with a standard USB port.

Just wait and see how the new Macbook looks like, maybe the size would be too tempting or you may like a different color option. It comes with 256gb SSD, which is nice for most people.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The single non standard port and no SD card reader is a big turn off for me. I'd definitely go for the MacBook Pro

7. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

It depends on your wants and usage . Nice screen->Retina, Best bang for the buck, some good deals on 2014 MacBook Pros now. Buying a Pro is certainly overkill if an Air would work for you, which circles back to screen and size/weight. Buying for "a sense of speed" is interesting, not sure how you would experience it from your usage, except staring at activity monitor. Not to sound harsh but if the purchase is more a "fashion statement" then the new macbook is gorgeous and will work fine. Personally I find the distraction about "THE DONGLE" to be Internet silliness. I am getting a 512gb space grey to replace a 2014 13 inch Macbook Pro :D

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Other than weight, I see no reason to choose the MacBook over a MacBook Pro. And if you don't find the Retina screen worth the money, I see no reason to choose it over the less expensive Air with more ports.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

This - much like most of Apple's first-gen products (the overpriced/underpowered 1st gen MBA springs to mind, or even the rMBP when it was first introduced), you're getting a lot more value from the rest of Apple's lineup.

My experience is never go first gen, unless you're happy with the idea that the 2nd revision is likely to be more powerful, cheaper, and possibly less problematic (manufacturing issues from first-gen products, etc.)

10. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

I'm one of the early adopters of the silent PC. I bought a passive cooling fin for my video card something like a dozen years ago. That was for a desktop. In terms of a laptop, I find the fan noise from my 07' MacBook ridiculous when it's running at top speed. In my book, if it has to make that much noise, it's not worth it. Generation after generation of processor we've been getting more processing with less power. People who need the raw power can still get the Pro. It's not going anywhere. For the rest of us, OP included, I think the new MacBook is a brilliant machine and do not expect to ever be disappointed I didn't get a faster machine.