Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'd just be happy with iPhone's mail being like it's MacOS equivalent... A unified Inbox.

I know it's not much, but I'd like it. ;)

I'm with you 100%. Make the Mail app MacOS equivalent, add a spam filter, and more control over marking emails. I'm happy with most everything else. Just make the Mail app better.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
lockinfo, or something similar.

seriously. i don't want a big blue bubble telling me i have a text or missed call. i want something less "in my face" with email notifications as well. lockinfo does it perfectly.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Multitasking. Unified inbox and different signatures for different mail accounts would also be nice. The notification thing really doesn't bother me.

As for speed - I have a 3gs and a 2g, and yes, there's a bug difference. But I wouldn't call 3.x choppy on the 2g, much less so slow that it's worth giving up all the new features.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
I concur with the themes concept. The only reason I jailbreaked was so that my phone could look a little different. I have since unjailbreaked my daily phone. Themes give the phone personality and individuality, instead we are all uniform.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I read last week that this rasoning is flawed basically because Apple has put ZERO effort at updating the app's DRM to prevent cracking.

Just like they did many times with music purchased from the itunes store.

Meanwhile, They've tried to stop jailbreaking in so many different ways that it just makes no sense.

I wish I could find now the post, it was real interesting.
That's not the point. A good analogy is locks on a door to your home. They are there to keep the casual thieves out. If someone really wants into your home, they are going to get in there anyhow. By locking the iPhone from accepting software outside of iTunes, it prevents the casual thieves who don't want to go through the trouble of jailbreaking.

Stang07

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
File System

I want a file system for the users just like any other mobile OS.

tilmonabbott

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Worcester Ma
I own a 3G and 3GS. Either you don't have a 3GS or you don't have an iPhone. :rolleyes: http://i.gizmodo.com/5171796/iphone-30-os-guide-everything-you-need-to-know

have had both 3g and 3gs....thanks anyways though. My parents as well have the 3g and their phones are significantly choppy and laggy. Maybe you just dont see it because you dont use one more than the other. But put your 3g down for a week then go back to it and maybe you'll see what me and TheSpaz are talking about. :rolleyes:

edit: when i said 100, there are much more than 100. Thats what i was trying to clarify

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
have had both 3g and 3gs....thanks anyways though. My parents as well have the 3g and their phones are significantly choppy and laggy. Maybe you just dont see it because you dont use one more than the other. But put your 3g down for a week then go back to it and maybe you'll see what me and TheSpaz are talking about. :rolleyes:

edit: when i said 100, there are much more than 100. Thats what i was trying to clarify

I did the math and the only feature from 3.0 that I miss is copy and paste. The rest is garbage, so I'd rather just be on 2.2.1 and live without copy and paste.

I don't actually need copy and paste very often, but when I do need it, it stands out more because it's not there. It only takes a few seconds and then I get over it.

I'm overall much happier on 2.2.1 and that's what it's all about for me. Can't blame me for doing something that makes me happy.

2.x was designed specifically for iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod touch and iPod touch 2nd gen
3.x was designed for iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3rd gen

3.x is compatible with the old hardware, but you suffer for it.

I already know that some people care about features and don't give a crap how smooth the OS runs and some people (me) would rather have a bug-free, fast iPhone without the requirement of upgrading my hardware first.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx

I have to back you up on this one. The 3G was nearly brought to its knees by the 3.0 upgrade. I ordered a 3GS, so we will see if that makes the difference.

As for a 4.0 upgrade, I would like to see some interface enhancements like notification management options or even home/lock screen customization. Commercials for these other new phones look so fancy and I know that doesn't necessarily mean they work better. However, I imagine there are overhauls to the iPhone OS that could make it work more like a 2010 or 2011 year phone.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Who cares? Now that the droid is out, and has a proper keyboard instead of this touchscreen baloney, a real camera instead of the garbage circa 1998 camera that the iphone has, I'm switching to that. Coworker just picked up a new droid and it soundly trounces the iphone in every metric.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I feel Apple on purpose made 3.0 slow on other phones. More reason to upgrade. (I know I know, its my right its my right blah blah blah grow up grow up blah blah blah)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I feel Apple on purpose made 3.0 slow on other phones. More reason to upgrade. (I know I know, its my right its my right blah blah blah grow up grow up blah blah blah)

I agree. If Apple didn't intentionally make 3.0 slow on old phones, they most certainly didn't try to make it run well on both. They focused mainly on the 3GS and just let the 3G do whatever it does.

tilmonabbott

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Worcester Ma
I did the math and the only feature from 3.0 that I miss is copy and paste. The rest is garbage, so I'd rather just be on 2.2.1 and live without copy and paste.

I don't actually need copy and paste very often, but when I do need it, it stands out more because it's not there. It only takes a few seconds and then I get over it.

I'm overall much happier on 2.2.1 and that's what it's all about for me. Can't blame me for doing something that makes me happy.

2.x was designed specifically for iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod touch and iPod touch 2nd gen
3.x was designed for iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3rd gen

3.x is compatible with the old hardware, but you suffer for it.

I already know that some people care about features and don't give a crap how smooth the OS runs and some people (me) would rather have a bug-free, fast iPhone without the requirement of upgrading my hardware first.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I had a 3g when 3.0 came out and it killed my phone. Restarted it one night and the thing went unresponsive. It would start up go to the apple logo then shut itself off. Oddly enough this recently happened to my 3gs(little side note). But point being is that i got sick of how 3.0 was crippling my device so i went and bought the 3gs on the no contract price so i could get the new one this year on the 2 year price and since then 3.0 and the iphone couldn't have been better. Although i go between 3g and edge very frequently and it seems to really screw with my connectivity. Sometimes at home i have to dial out in order to receive texts or even push notifications.

So in my rant, for 4.0 i would like to see a lot of things. A refresh of the UI, the ability to customize text message ringtones, a landscape off setting so that if you dont want to use it you dont have to, i also like the notification bar that someone was talking about at one point. This is all i can come up with because i'm exhausted, but the more i think of i'll post

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I couldn't have said it better myself. I had a 3g when 3.0 came out and it killed my phone. Restarted it one night and the thing went unresponsive. It would start up go to the apple logo then shut itself off. Oddly enough this recently happened to my 3gs(little side note). But point being is that i got sick of how 3.0 was crippling my device so i went and bought the 3gs on the no contract price so i could get the new one this year on the 2 year price and since then 3.0 and the iphone couldn't have been better. Although i go between 3g and edge very frequently and it seems to really screw with my connectivity. Sometimes at home i have to dial out in order to receive texts or even push notifications.

So in my rant, for 4.0 i would like to see a lot of things. A refresh of the UI, the ability to customize text message ringtones, a landscape off setting so that if you dont want to use it you dont have to, i also like the notification bar that someone was talking about at one point. This is all i can come up with because i'm exhausted, but the more i think of i'll post

I did the same exact thing you did. When 3.0 came out, I started using it like everyone else. My iPhone wasn't the same zippy phone anymore and I got so annoyed that while I was driving, I drove to the Apple Store and bought an iPhone 3GS. Due to hardware faults, I returned it and repeated 2 more times until I got so fed up that I just returned it completely to get my money back.

Then I went back to my iPhone 3G, downgraded to 2.2.1 and it was fast again! It was almost like having a 3GS without copy and paste.

Then I called up AT&T, canceled my contract, had them switch me over to pre-paid and block data access. Then, I simply stuck my go-phone sim into my iPhone 3G and started using it as a go-phone. No internet, unlimited texts and 200 minutes per month. I'm saving about $50/mo. and I still get to use my favorite iPhone.

I wasn't a heavy data user, so it seemed like a waste of money for me to have it. Being without it isn't too bad.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
I am by no means sexist, the ladies can have the see through girls clothing feature as well!

in all seriousness though CUSTOMIZATION!

like other posters have said, I jailbroke my iPhone for the sole reason of winterboard and customizing the look of my phone. The standard theme has gotten very stale.

I'd also like to see a higher resolution screen, I'm not a fan of OLED but give us a better looking screen and I'm happy! I'd also like the option to output HD video content to a televison. Oh god I'm rambling aren't I?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.