Best 1TB brand/model for MacPro 08

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, May 22, 2008.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi there, I want a second hard disk of 1tb for my new mac pro... I have the default by apple... its a segate...

now I want buy a 2nd of 1tb... what recommend? segate too? which model? for me the important its that be quiet, the speed its not much important... but well all are important but I dont want noisy hard disks... my new mac pro its so quiet so I dont want change that :)

thanks for your suggestions

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Are there any industry rumors regarding hard drives larger than 1 TB? I'm just curious...

5. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I am using the Samsung F1 Spintpoints; 2x1TB (Raid0) in my MP, and 4x1TB in my NAS. Excellent speed, very cool, and very very fast.

KB

6. wideholic macrumors newbie

wideholic

Cheapest and the Bestest

Samsung Spinpoint F1 ..

7. Volante macrumors regular

8. faumble macrumors regular

9. supercooled macrumors 6502a

For what? I would say for storage needs get the GreenPower drives. They run cooler, quieter and draw less power. got to do what you can to help out the environment but more than that, I like the WD brand.

I have 2 of them running but in a Firewire drive.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

11. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I too can recommend the Spinpoint brand. Used them in my HP laptop and I have one in my MacBook. Also have a few in external enclosures.

12. big dainjerus macrumors regular

I'd say the best model would be the one in live4ever's avatar, I would put the pro mac on that a$$

13. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Definitely Samsung F1. Its faster than a Raptor, silent as a fox.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

+1

16. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

As said above, I am using 4 of the Samsung F1s (1TB) in my Infrant NV+, and they are quiet, and running cool.

Before I have had WD and Seagate drives, and they easily ran 4-6 degrees hotter. My Sammies are averaging 32Cs, and that is much cooler than anything I have ever had before. The WDs ran hotter, and the Seagates (ST3100) run so hot that NetGear had to alter the firmware to accommodate them.

KB

17. Tbarr macrumors member

Did anyone bother to read the reviews?

Apparently the Samsungs begin to 'drop like flies' after a few weeks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

Around 40% of the responders report poor or Very Poor. That's Not a very good track record, especially since they mostly DIE. DIE, as in LOST DATA.

I have all Seagates. Between all my computers, that's around 14 drives. No problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

Around 17% report poor or Very Poor, mostly from bad Firmware, which DOESN'T result in LOST DATA. And, the Firmware thing was fixed, or is fixable. DEAD drives are not 'Fixable'.

Buy what you will, but at least read the Reviews ;)

18. nurfen macrumors member

The best drives for the Mac Pros are the "Western Digital RE2-GP" (that is: Green Power Rev. 2...). They are extremely reliable, cool, and silent.

The problem with the Samsung SpinPoint series is that they cannot be placed upside down without vibrating much more and/or take damage from the positioning, due to bad model design. In my other computers, and at work, I always use the Samsung SpinPoint series, since they're really cheap and perform really well.

When I got my Mac Pro, I gladly installed 4 SpinPoint drives, and noticed that they all were vibrating a lot more than I was used to. They were still silent, as far as seek noise is concerned, but the whole Mac Pro case started vibrating. After a while, I realized that they started vibrating when placed up side down. I then switched to Western Digital, and I've been happy ever since. :)

Just my $.02.

19. Jsingh macrumors member

+1 for the Spinpoint F1

The majority of the problems related to the F1 are due to an incompatibility with nvidia's nforce chipset and NCQ. So i wouldn't pay too much attention to those negative reviews. I've had the F1 for about a month now, it performs far better than the stock seagate 7200.10.

20. aibo macrumors 6502

Tossup between the Spinpoint F1 and WD GP. Spinpoint F1 is very fast. WD GP on the other hand sacrifices speed to be the quietest 3.5" drive ever made, very low power, and low heat. Depends what your goal is.

21. Tbarr macrumors member

Yes, my Seagate 400s, 500s, 750s, and 1TB drive also perform better than the Apple Stock 320GB drive. Looking at the comparisons, the Samsung and Seagate 1TB drives are close, except, if you're running Office or Games. I thought the massive amounts of RAM in Mac Pros was supposed to take care of Application requirements... whatever.
    Comparisons - SR's Test Gamut - 4 Devices Go Head-To-Head
    I do look at reviews pretty close, and I don't like what I see with the Samsungs.

22. big dainjerus macrumors regular

If I have my first three drives (most like 1tb samsungs) dedicated for certain things like recording music or film editing etc can I use the WD GP in the 4th as a backup? Will a slow(er) back up drive be a pain in the neck at all? Or should I just go all out and get 4 1tb spinpoints? (Although I am thinking about the new WD 640 for a boot drive)

Also, where should I put my scratch if I am using 1 drive for boot/apps, 2 and 3 for music/video/plugins etc, and 4th for back up? Is it better to have your scratch on a faster boot drive or the back up drive?

23. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

so? whats the best HD 1TB for mac pro on the market! I dont care the price!!!! please any that know whos better??

24. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Did you just miss the entire thread of opinions? :confused: