Best 1TB External Drive?? (Western Digital My Book?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MVallee, Apr 27, 2008.

1. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Ok I need a 1TB drive. I have so many videos, scattered across hard drives that I'd like them all in one place all neat and organized.

I've been looking around for a good, reliable and low cost 1TB drive. The Western Digital My Book has a bunch of 1TB options under their various editions (Home, Essential, Studio, etc.) and some at reasonable prices.

But is Western Digital reliable? I have 5 hard drives now, 3 Western Digital and 2 Maxtor. 2 of the WD ones have failed on me, the rest all run fine. Was it a fluke, or is WD no good?

Is there a better way to go then the My Book drives? Or should I get one of them?

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I have a 500GB WD My Book, and it's worked great for me. My biggest problem with it is that it's loud..It sounds like a coffee maker, or like it's crushing itself a lot of the time, which can get annoying at night and stuff..Not a huge problem, but a bit of one. It's been reliable, though, and it's sturdy. I recommend it if you can't find anything better.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I use a Maxtor, WD, and a Lacie...so far I'm more partial to the Lacie, looks great and it is quieter than the other two.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I have never used any of the other brands you mention, so I can't really say :p Just speaking from my WD experiences. By the way, I must say you have a damn awesome name.

5. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

They are good but can be noisy if you are using them with Time Machine.

My most recent one is a 1TB My Book Studio which is silent but seems to slow my startup to 4 mins!!! Don't know why....

6. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I'd recommend the seagate freeagent pro. I have the 320GB version and it's great! quiet, reliable, and looks great! they have a 1 TB version...

7. Templex macrumors regular

The new ones aren't that noisy.
    Mine works great :)