Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
What are your suggestions for 1TB External HDD FW800 for Macbook Pro 13"?
I've been looking around for a long time for this. It can be 2.5" or 3.5", but I would prefer 3.5" since they are cheap compared to 2.5".

seong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Damn that's pricey.
It's sooo hard to find FW800 external hdds that are cheap nowadays.....
I might just save up the money to buy that.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
OP have you tried MyBook Firewire externals? That is what I use. I have hte 4TB version. I paid $450 at the time but have seen them around $400.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
MacSales has their Mercury OTG if you want one that doesn't require a separate power cable. It just feeds power off the FW cable. It's a 2.5" HDD so it's also small and great for mobility and you can daisy chain off of it with the second FW 800 port.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I was recently in the same situation. I wanted to buy a 1 TB external hard drive with FireWire 800. I already had (and still have) three Western Digital MyBook drives. They are all older models and have all been great since I got them. One is going on 4 years, one is 3 years old, and the last is 2 and a half years.
When I bought a new drive a couple of weeks ago, I looked into the matter and saw that the newer MyBook drives had gotten very poor reviews on the online Apple Store, so I decided to go with something else. I found that the LaCie d2 Quadra has been getting very good reviews and it is one of the top rated products on the online Apple Store, so I got that one.

It is nice with all its ports (2x FireWire 800, one USB 2.0, one eSATA, one FireWire 400), though I only use it with Time Machine on my MacBook Pro, so I really don't need anything else than FireWire 800.

This LaCie drive seems very good and it has a solid and appealing design. But if noise is of any concern to you, I would probably not recommend it, as the hard drive itself is quite loud. It has no fan, though, so you are not going to be bothered by that. But in use the drive itself is rather loud.

I think this drive is a safe bet. It has 3 years of warranty from LaCie.

I hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

dmhawk

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
I have a Seagate FreeAgent for Mac 1TB FW800 that's worked well and cost about $120 when I bought it.

I bought one of these in Sept. 2010 and was very excited about it until it began giving me major trouble 6 months later. Anytime I would try to transfer a file of a few hundred MB or more, it would crash finder, then finder wouldn't work properly again until I did a hard restart of the computer. I tried wiping and reformatting the drive, testing different interfaces (1 USB and 2 FW800), and nothing helped. I've since replaced it with an OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro. Pricey, but I'm sure it will last. Also, the enclosure is reusable.

Last edited:

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Right now, i'm using a 1TB Seagate GoFlex with the FW800 adapter, i've had no issues with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.