Best 1TB Internal Drive for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fanofdool, Jan 23, 2011.

1. fanofdool macrumors newbie

I have a 2.53 GHz 15" Unibody late-2009 MBP and I need to upgrade my internal HD, preferably to a 1TB drive. What's the best one? The names I've heard the most are WD and Seagate. Will my MBP support 1TB?

Also, what is SSD and do I need it? I do run Parallels pretty frequently, so my computer does tend to get close to maximum CPU use, but I don't run a server or anything. Something that isn't loud would be good too.

Thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, your MBP is capable of having an internal HDD with a capacity of 1TB or even more.
    I don't know which is the best brand though, as there are diverse opinions, like with everything else. I have the 1TB HDD from Toshiba as an external HDD, though the read speeds are a bit underwhelming.

Some similar threads:
    via MRoogle: "best 1tb hdd"

An SSD (link found via search for "ssd") is flash memory based storage device and the successor of HDDs, though the price per GB is still a bit high compared to platter based HDDs.
    But SSDs have a very high read and write speed (200+ MB/s) and very short seek times (0.1ms, HDD = 10ms), which makes opening documents and applications a blast (2 seconds for PS, iTunes; 1s for Safari).

3. fanofdool thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch! SSD is definitely out of my price range. Hmm... It looks like you can get a 1TB 5200 RPM, or a 500GB/750GB 7200 RPM, but not a 1TB 7200 RPM? Is that correct? Is the 7200 RPM performance worth sacrificing the higher capacity? Is it likely to be noisier than the original HD I have now? What about battery life?

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I've really started wondering recently that for data-intensive users how a small SSD (say 40-60GB) used for basic programs and a large 1TB+ HDD in the OptiBay would increase real-world performance. It is definitely a more realistic option than going for a 600GB SSD which costs more than the entire laptop.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Stick with the 750GB 7200. I could never go back to a 5400rpm drive.

Cheers,

6. fanofdool thread starter macrumors newbie