Best 1TB+ SATA HDDs to use in RAID / partioning?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mr1970, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mr1970 macrumors member

I have a G4 AGP Powermac (500MHz, 2GB RAM) running Tiger which I'm currently using as a home media server for my Apple TV and various laptops. I've just picked up a Sonnet PCI SATA card for a good price, so I'm going to add 2 identical SATA drives to the G4 and run them in mirrored RAID to store all my media on. I have a couple of questions before I order the drives, however, so if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it:

- does anyone have any particularly good / bad experiences with specific hard drives of 1TB+ in RAID configuration in a Powermac? I've heard various bad things about the Seagate 1.5TB, which is a bit of a shame as I'd have liked to use them. I'd also have liked the WD 2TB but I think they're still just too expensive to justify, even for the extra space.

- what I have in mind is just setting up single partitions and holding the iTunes and iPhoto libraries in there, but would there be any advantages in partitioning the terabyte drives? The OS & apps are going to continue to run on a 120GB IDE drive so it would just be data storage. If I did partition them, could I mirror the partitions?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

2. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

I have had excellent experiences with the WD 1TB Black drives.. particularly in raid slices , not mirrored. They're fast and for some reason.. even thought hey have a 32mb buff. They feel faster than any drive I've used recently. I think they did an excellent job with the internal design of the drive itself, it's silent and extremely reliable.. I can only imagine how well they would perform with a Mirror raid

3. mr1970 thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks for that. Ordered two yesterday evening and Amazon delivered this morning, so I should have more server space than our data warehouse at work by this evening :)