Best 20-24" Monitor - Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Microkozm, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Microkozm macrumors newbie

Im looking to buy a monitor in the 20-24" range soon and google doesnt seem to be on my side. Basically I'm looking for a really good 20" or possibly a 24" depending on price. Im hoping for it to suit my gamer and photo needs (if thats possible).

Before the "lolwut? buy apple!" threads start, I want to say Im on a budget that wont suit Apple prices. Any recommendations would help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Perhaps telling us your budget will aid in our search.

3. Microkozm thread starter macrumors newbie

Im looking at absolute most around $500. I know I can pickup a Dell 24" at that price (given the right time and online coupons) but I hear lag is terrible on the new models.

4. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I just bought the KDS 26" LCD. I love it, I have my PS3 hooked up and MacBook Pro. It has a native resolution of 1920x1200 and is absolutely stunning. It can do 1080P if you are looking to play HD movies or anything HD. It had an HDMI, VGA, and DVI connections. The speakers are pretty nice and I don't mind playing Guitar Hero with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155056

Don't go by the reviews on Newegg. When I first opened it up and turned it on, the first thing my friend said is that it had a RIDICULOUS viewing angle, and it does. The picture quality is absolutely nuts, the only thing I don't like about it is that is has a maximum refresh rate of 60hrz. I am used to 75hrz, but this will do.

5. Microkozm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ethan, that would be great for gaming but it will fall behind in color work. Contrast also doesnt look to be all that great. Otherwise great price for the monitor

6. cromwell64 macrumors regular

If color accuracy is what you care about, then the apple monitors are the closest thing you will find to match your budget, unless you are willing to spend more. otherwise a the 24" dell is probably your best choice.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the dell might be the best bet for your budget, though im contemplating getting a secondary monitor and im liking the 24" HP2408 models, but havent had a chance to see them anywhere in person.

but have had plenty of great reviews.