Best 2011 USB hubs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jmouse, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

I did a search nothing came up useful.

I'm currently looking at buying a 7 ports powered USB hub.

My main usage is to have my midi controller and launchpad along with an external hard drive. The other USB port will be connected to an external sound card.

I've looked at some of the Belkin ones. They are ok.
    Also keen on the D-link one which looks like an adsl modem.

Am calling on all macrumors member with style, I really want one that will look great on gigs.

Thanks!

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. jfm010 macrumors newbie

I was shopping around for a new 7-port hub last week and found this from Targus but went for a cheapish Deltaco hub which was half the price. And twice as ugly. :p

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The internals of most USB hubs are identical. One of about 4 different chips are used. So, from a technical point, a $0.99 hub will be no different then a $29.99 one. There is a build quality in the packaging, that varies from vendor to vendor; but it's not that big of deal typically.

So, buy what you think looks nice, and within your budget. Everything else is about equal.

5. randomhkkid macrumors member

6. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I have heard things about some Usb Hub has TT chip on each hub.

Most of the ones has one 1 TT chip for all the hubs.

7. dsq macrumors newbie

8. Captain Slocum macrumors newbie

Using a mid 2011 iMac, Lion OS 10.7.3. I found my D Link 7 port hub did not work properly. It would connect everything but crash whenever the machine went to sleep, requiring me to remove and reinsert the input USB cable to the back of it to reset it. Also, the indicator lights remained on when the computer was asleep.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced it with the belkin 7 port hub and it works perfectly. No crashes, and all the lights go off when the computer goes to sleep. I like having the two ports on top as well, makes it easier for the occassional gadget and for memory sticks. And stupidly cheap. (less than £10.00 from Amazon)

9. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

You have a model number by any chance? Or a pic ? Still struggling to find the "perfect"usb hub.

Cheers.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm looking for the same, but at a lower budget than the $30 the ones I've seen linked go for. 7-10 ports is ideal, I'm still debating whether I could use a 4-port hub. The smaller design, the better, though I realize there's a limit to how small a hub can be with that many ports on it. Powered is also preferable. Haven't found anything particularly suitable, although some of the options at monoprice.com seem reasonable (I've bought plenty from them before, so no worries about the company).

jW

11. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hmm, saw those elsewhere, didn't have great reviews but there also weren't a lot of them. I'm inclined to try it, it's nice and compact, plus I have an eBay gift card I wasn't sure how to use. :D

jW