Best 2015 rMBP display choice options?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmwagner95, Jul 12, 2015.

1. jmwagner95 macrumors newbie

I'm on the hunt for a 27'' display to partner with my 2015 rMBP.

I'm a student, and thus would like to avoid paying the 1000$ for a new TBD--although I would LOVE to have one.

Is an older ACD worth the money, or possibly a refurbished TBD? Will the performance from either of those two be worse due to their age? Are they worth the still somewhat hefty price tags they carry?

Lastly, what would people suggest for the best non-apple 27'' display at this time? I've read a whole bunch of reviews and searched the other sites and browsed the forums here, but would like to here some input as to the best options currently available--and if there is already a post similar to this, please direct me to it!

thanks,
    john

2. DFWHD macrumors regular

Take a look at the Dell U2715H. USB 3 hub and DP/mDP connectivity. I've been using it since last November and love it. I moved from a 27 2012 iMac and felt as I lost nothing.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Don't waste your money on an Apple display.
    At this point in time, all you'll find are used ones and the years-out-of-date thunderbolt display, FAR overpriced.

Any search for a good display should start by taking a few minutes by which to browse this comprehensive list:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You used the term "best" but did not give any specs beyond cost under $1000. Do you want 27", main use case which could help drive IPS vs, TN. What color gamut, sRGB or do you need wide gamut AdobeRGB? Usually on graphic artists or those do pro level photo editing need AdobeRGB. What about resolution? Do you need it act as a hub? Only the ACD has a integrated Thunderbolt 1 hub. But at the same time, it only does USB 2 and the antique FW.

I fully agreed that it is wait too late in the lifecycle of ACD to get one. Instead look a nice 4K monitor that your rMBP can drive without problem. See other threads such as :http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dell-p2715q-and-p2415q-4k-ips-displays.1816805/

5. saratoga172 macrumors newbie

I use a Dell U2713h and have absolutely no complaints. New model is out as mentioned above and the price is much nicer especially seeing as you're a student. That's what I would go with personally.

6. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I agree with the poster above.

I recommend the Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K display especially for the price. Yes, it is a TN panel and not IPS. I played with my color settings a bit and it's been stellar.

It's available on woot for $369 - refurb

http://www.woot.com/offers/samsung-28-4k-led-backlit-monitor-27?ref=cnt_wp_17_4

7. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

Go with the Dell P2715Q if you want a 27" display

8. jmwagner95 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses all--

still no word on if they will introduce a new display, perhaps in this upcoming fall cycle? What is a fair price for a thunderbolt display now, as using it as a hub is something that could be attractive, if the price is right.

27'' is what I am looking at--could go larger possibly. I don't do any design work or photo editing, so the color thing is not a huge issue.

Is anything lost by not using thunderbolt, and instead using mdp?

Apologies for stumbling through these questions. Thanks for the patience and input!!

9. campyguy macrumors 68040

Don't bother waiting for Apple to come out with a new TB display - it will come, or it won't. I run a small company, and we've maybe 25-odd displays in the company. We've had the best success with newer Dell and BenQ displays - I have two of and highly recommend the Dell P2715Q displays mentioned in this thread. As for the Samsung U28D590D, we have two - and they're in the boxes they shipped in; we we "given" two of them by our vendor so they were "free" - they're a bit laggy and not something we'd pay money for given their performance; we have several Samsung displays in our rMBPs and they're really nice but I think that their external displays kind of blow chunks. My two P2715Q displays are on Herman Miller arms as I need the desk space, but these monitor's stands are really nice IMO.

The display I'm waiting for is BenQ's not-yet-released BenQ BL2711U, which I've seen at a local show. We have several BenQ BL3201PH displays in my office and they're sweet and Mac-friendly. I really like the 32-inch version of this display, and I've threatened to fire one of my employees so I can steal his/her BenQ display! The 27-inch demo we checked out is really, really nice....

As to the TB-versus-DP perspective/argument, there isn't one to be argued. TB carries DP plus PCIe, so from my perspective TB *is* DP from a display's perspective. Furthermore, TB adheres to the DP 1.1a DP spec - which is old, old, old...

10. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

My advice would be to not wait for Apple to budge on updating their displays. Around two years ago I was in the market for a display and I was convinced that an update to the Thunderbolt display just had to be around the corner. They'd just introduced the slimmer iMacs and I thought that they'd surely be bringing this design to the TBD. I waited, and waited, and I'm still waiting.

I have no idea what Apple are playing at with their displays. They could have updated it with a slimmer profile (just to put it in context - the TBD is thicker than the iMac, even though the iMac has a computer inside as well as a display); they could have added USB 3.0 ports; they could have made it 4K; but they're clearly waiting for something else. I just don't know what it is. My advice - go get a Dell.