Best $21 I've spent

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jgarcia540, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jgarcia540 macrumors newbie

Ever since I've gotten my 3Gs, I've been looking for a solution so I can listen to music through my car stereo. I didn't want to go the FM transmitter route. My GMC Denali stock radio does not have an AUX input and I didn't want to spend $150 on the product my local stereo store suggested. So I sopped by Radio Shack (actually looking for something else) and saw the cassette adapter.

This thing works great. I can even listen to Pandora through the stereo. It might not be the slickest setup because you see the wire, but it works great for listening to music.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Those cassette adapters have been a great solution for many years...unfortunately, most late model cars do not have cassette players any more..:(

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Are we talking 4 track cassette or 8 track cassette? lol :D:D:D

4. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

5. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I thought they were more like $4.99'ish

6. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that's what I used to do; it really does work great. Unfortunately, my current car doesn't have a tape deck, so no dice. (it does have audio-in tho... that'll do!)

8. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

That's what I was thinking...

9. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

I also use a cassette adapter in my 2002 VW Jetta and it works great! :D

10. yum114 macrumors member

use them when theres nothing but tape player. There in between aux and transmitter as far as quality tho. and they usually cost about 8 bucks.

11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

RadioShack? $21?

You bought a Monster Audio cassette adapter, didn't you. :rolleyes:

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

It's generally pot luck with the low end, generic cassette adapters. I've had some pretty bad ones that came with sat radio kits, etc. I have a Sony one that works VERY well and I think it was either $15 or $20, so yeah I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for something that doesn't end in frustration. I have a $10 adapter (brand name escapes me) and it worked well in my daughter's boom box but didn't in my wife's Sienna.

I have a 2004 Audi S4 and it's "premium" audio system still had a cassette. The car manufacturers extracted their heads from their backsides shortly thereafter and began to put aux inputs in, so I'm sure the lack of a cassette player won't be an issue the next time around. I'm just not done having fun with this car yet. :D

13. jgarcia540 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but I don't have a late model car. I have a 2003 GMC Denali (no-navigation). So for those people that don't have a late model car or an AUX input option, this cassette adapter is a good solution.

14. jgarcia540 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, maybe if you search on-line or know of a place. For me I'd rather spend the extra $16 I did than try to find the cheapest one. Besides, I'm enjoying my music now rather than waiting a week if I had to order a cheaper one online.

15. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

alternative

The other solution is often to just get access to the back of the car radio where an input is available. I used on in my Acura TL. It was hard to get to but I managed to get it done in about 30 minutes.

The cost for that iPod/iPhone type solution ranges from $70-100 though.

Well worth it when you consider the qualitative difference in the sound.