Best 24/7 Tethering Practices for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Oct 20, 2014.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have unlimited data on my current iPhone 4 on verizon so I'm not in too much of a rush since there's no jailbreak yet for the 6, where I would be able to finally take advantage of the 4G LTE without being throttled.

Even still with this 4, I tether all day long to my iPad and/or MacBook.

I don't personally have a particular method or practice when it comes to tethering off of my 4 because the battery is so old it's practically connected at most times since it depletes from 100% to 0 in about 3-4 hours with constant use. Standy on the 4 for me is about a day perhaps. But that's cause this is considered an old phone now.

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

No need to wait for a jailbreak you can add the $30 unlimited 4g hotspot feature.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I used to teacher but it used so much battery to do so, I moved to cellular iPads and have not looked back.

My suggestion is to keep your device plugged in.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have any practices, when I need it, I turn it on. When I don't, I turn it off.

I usually tether when the wifi in a given location is partially slow or non existent and/or I'm doing something that I want to increase my security, i.e., logging into my bank account.

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I use the 6+ and it gets great battery life while tethering (no iPad but it's great none the less). Just swap to the new phone and once you have LTE you can add the unlimited hotspot for 30/mo. No need to jailbreak.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Great advice, I didn't know verizon now offered that which is great and I'll have to look into.

As for actual practices, seems like the consensus so far is to keep it plugged in while tethering. Guess that's some good advice right there. :D