Best 24" LCD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by odinsride, Dec 11, 2007.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I'm in the market for a 24" LCD to go with my MBP. I am mainly looking at the Dell 2407wfp ($669). I considered the Apple 23" but it's out of the question as it doesn't have as many features and costs a lot more...not to mention it's an inch smaller.

Are there any other good 24" LCDs out there worth checking out? Or should I just go with the Dell? I've owned the Dell 2005wfp previously and it was great, that's why I'm going back to Dell, unless there's something better.

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The Dell 2407wfp is an S-PVA Display (verify here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm). This is an excellent panel for video and games. It is lower-quality for Print and Photography compared to the Apple 23 ACD which uses a superior S-IPS panel.

S-IPS panels have better color consistency and color at viewing angles, which does become important with larger monitors.

I am buying a 24" today to compliment an HP-LP3065 (30" with S-IPS panel -- simply an outstanding monitor -- see my informal review in this forum). I have an ACD 23" and it is fantastic.

But for this purchase I am buying an HP w2408, 24" for $519.00. This is a 1920x1200 panel with full pivot ability and a superb color gamut that calibrates well for a lower end TN panel, which it is. Again, this HP will NOT have the color consistency of an Apple 23" ACD but it is a secondary panel: the HP 30" calibrates well for print.

Here's a review of the 22408: http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review4799.html

I am not a wild fan of Dell Monitors (I gave up on them when they stared their "Panel Lottery" years back -- google Dell Panel Lottery -- so I cannot make informed recent comment). The Dell you are considering reviews very well however:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2940&p=1

Good luck with your purchase: let the forum know what you decide.

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The dells look great and they have good prices, but I'm getting nervous because my 2007wfp only has six months of warranty remaining. It started out as a 2005fpw, but four replacements later and I'm onto a 2007wfp.

4. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

Hi

I am also interested in a Dell/HP/ACD motor around the 24" size.

I really want one that is HDCP compliant so that eventually I can link this to a full HD source. I am concerned about the comments that have been made on the 07 Dell model that is apparently HDCP compliant but because it only has a DVI connection which results in a scaled image which is inferior in quality.

Could anyone confirm this is true and offer some advice

Thanks

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well the ACD is really geared towards spot on color and such. The Dell will offer you tons of inputs and you can game on it (not that you cannot with the ACD but the lack of inputs makes it hard). I would get the Dell over the ACD if you're interested in doing other things on it.
    Alternatively, you can go with the Samsung. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Whatever you do, don’t get hung up over 23” vs 24”.

6. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Thanks for the advice everyone...i'm not into professional photography or design so color accuracy really isn't important to me. I will look at the Samsung, thanks

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Be careful which Samsung. I brought my MBP to a Future Shop, and was totally turned off the 245BW, which uses the TN display. Obvious, I know, but I couldn't believe how narrow the viewing angle was--vertical AND horizontal. There was a very (very) noticeable shift from one side of the screen to the other, and it was best viewed from above at an angle that was painfully un-ergonomic.

I bought the Dell 2407WFP-HC, and while I still have a lust-on for the promise of the colour accuracy of the ACD, my wallet can live with the difference.

8. amik macrumors regular

Check out the Samsung 244T. I use one at work and I will be purchasing one for myself if the LP 3065 doesn't get me first.

9. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I've read about Inverse ghosting with the 2407wfp-hc. Have you noticed this?

10. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

11. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Retraction

I just got in from looking at this HP W2408 and I am NOT buying it.

I was very unimpressed with this panel.

Again, the HP LP3065, which I am using right now, is amazing.

For the 24" I am most likely going back to the ACD 24 -- I am just hooked on the superior S-IPS panel it uses. I am also looking at the Dell 2407WFP.

The Samsung 245BW was highly unimpressive for me today as well.

Just my thoughts: but a disclaimer: I make my living via color management so this is the main motivator in my purchase.

12. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

I've not notices *any* ghosting or other problems with my panel at all. Most of what is done on mine is editing pics, movies and using Illustrator.

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Do you mean a trailing behind, for example, a white object moving across a black background? No, actually. I see no difference between my MBP screen

Mind you, I don't do a lot of gaming, which is where I've heard you'd see it most. The only game I have loaded is Armagetron Advanced, which looks beautiful in native 1920x1200. And that does have a lot of white-grid-on-black movement.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I picked up the Gateway FHD2400 for $450 over the weekend. It is simply stunning. As a computer monitor, I could not be more impressed. Also, it works very well when connected to my xbox 360. It has component and HDMI which is really nice. Also, glossy screen which I like.

15. somewhatstunned macrumors member

I have an LG245 and it is very good. You will of course use the DVI->HDMI connection. I (stupidly - I know I know I *know*!) was working with the RGB adaptor that comes with the MBP - made the fans go and the picture was not so good. But once I figured out the video formats - well - wow!