Best 256 SSD for 15" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucagfc, Mar 16, 2011.

  1. Lucagfc, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

    Lucagfc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #1
    Hi

    I' m going to buy a new 15" MacBook Pro to replace my Quad Core Mac Pro.

    I wan' t to have a SSD as system disk and I need a 256 SSD.

    The Apple 256 SSD option is too expensive for me (600 €) i can spend up to 400 €.

    which 256 SSD has the best performance In this price range?

    Thanks
     
  2. colshine macrumors regular

    colshine

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    The general advice on this forum is wait a month for the new generation of SSD's to be released before buying one. Personally I have taken that advice and am waiting to see what becomes available over then next few months.
     
  3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #3
    Good Advide. I will wait for the next month but I think that the new model probably likely to have cost higher than 400 €?
     
  4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

    wywern209

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    do you rly want to know?
    #4
    the price per gig is coming down in the next few months because intel is going to release some consumer grade SSDs with storage caps to 600gb and will be made from its new 25nm fab process.
     
  5. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #5
    Ok So the best choice now is waiting. Any producer has already presented the future lineup?
     
  6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Location:
    NC
    #6
    OCZ has an ETA on their Vertex 3 lineup. OWC will release something from now till June. Intel has released the 510, but I'm sure another will come along the way. Corsair has something going as well, I think Force GT?
     
  7. adnoh macrumors 6502a

    adnoh

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
  8. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    #8
    Waiting is not my best attribute. I want a Sata III now. May just go for the Intel but maybe OCZ or OWC will surprise us with a shipping release.
     
  9. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #9
    I came from Mac Pro base 2010 model so I' ve decided to switch to MacBook Pro 15" because the CPU power it' s the same and I will have only 1 machine (also sell my current MacBook Pro 13").

    Now, with my MacBook Pro 13" (2009 model) the component that slows the computer is the 5400 rpm disk. For that reason to get the same or better perfomance of the Mac Pro i decided to buy also an SSD but if the wait will be long is better to spend 100 € more and get the 500 GB 7200 rpm?
     
  10. colshine macrumors regular

    colshine

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    When I ordered mine I decided to get the 7200 rpm 500GB disk as I won't miss the space but the extra speed would be nice until I decide which SSD to get.
     
  11. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #11
    Yes the 7200 rpm is a good speed bump from 5400 but the problem is the Apple prices: with the 100 € requested from Apple I buy a larger disk!
     
  12. koruki macrumors 6502a

    koruki

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #12
    There is no price diff between the two options, at least not when I ordered it last week.
     
  13. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    #13
    I am waiting a year to see how much 250 GB SSD's going to cost.:cool:
     
  14. Lucagfc, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

    Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #14
    The 15" base have the 500 GB 5400 RPM. TU upgrade to the 500 7200 rpm here in italy the price is 100 € (130 $)

    For 100 € I can buy a Seagate Momentus XT. It' s a better solution waiting the new version of SSD?

    I' ve saw that the Vertex 3 will have really really high price! I can' t afford it!
     
  15. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #15
    So, the 34nm Intel 510 has read speeds of around 500 MB/s. The 23nm G3 drives will be larger capacity, and hopefully much lower price per GB. But will they have the same speeds as the 510 series???

    If not, how long to people think it will be until we can get 23nm SSDs that read at ~500MB/s? And optimally cost around 300 bucks for 250GB?
     
  16. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2004
    #16
    Seconded. Wait for the Vertex 3 (out in the next month hopefully). Blows everything else out of the water.
     
  17. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #17
    See my XBench test here of Intel 510 120GB in 2011 MBP 13".

    These 500MB/s test speeds are using synthetic bench marks reading large blocks of sequential data. In normal usage you are more likely accessing smaller blocks of data in a random pattern, so the random read/write tests are more relevant. Look at the last chart on this page and compare the new Vertex 3 to say the last gen Intel. Not much difference, and I doubt a difference you would notice in day to day use.
     
  18. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #18
    Yup, I did just before find that review. But my question still stands (slightly modified):

    Is there a timeline for 23nm Intel or OCZ SSDs that will have performance levels similar to or greater than the 510 and Vertex 3?

    I'd really like to drop a 250GB SSD and 8GB RAM in my new MBP sometime in the next year, depending on if prices become more reasonable.
     
  19. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #19
    I read Intel is coming out with a 320 series SSD that I believe will replace the "consumer" grade X25 series we have now. Have no idea about timeline though. Just my opinion, I don't think you will see any new drive soon that is a drastic price drop from what we see today. I think it will be a slow, incremental price drop over time. If I were you, I would just put in a Intel X25 now and you can upgrade in a year or so if prices on new/faster drives go where you want. The Intel X25 is close to as fast as anything else in real usage and users on the forums here have found them very reliable and Mac compatible.
     
  20. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    #20
    Vertex3 Problem is the price. I've found a website that sells it for the first day of april and the price in too high for me: 519 € (727 $) I wan' t to spend 400 € max

    I upgrade the ram immediatly: for only 85 € is no-brainer
     
  21. RedDiamond macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #21
    Agreed.

    OP - If you are a tech savvy and don't mind a potential headache, go ahead and get an SSD now. However OCZ, OWC, Intel,etc have all had their share of headaches associated with them Intell being the mort reliable, but not clear how good their garbage collection/longevity is.
    If you want to avoid headaches either get the Apple SSD BTO upgrade or wait until Lion comes out and see which 3ed party SSD drives Lion supports.
    Currently no 3ed party SSD works on a Mac with Trim support other than the Apple drive it ships as a BTO.

    If you don't mind potential problems, get the fastest OCZ drive.
    If you want to avoid problems with longevity/reliability/hibernation-sleep/issues then get an Apple BTO SSD or wait until Lion comes out and see what drives it provides Trim support, and what results people get.
    One option would be to get a fast 7200 drive Now which will later move to where the optical drive currently is - make sure you get one that is 9.5 mm so that it will fit. Have a look at the WD 750GB Scorpio Black.

    If you don't want to wait, and have already purchased your computer, try an Intel drive. If you haven't purchased the MBP, consider the quite affordable 128GB SSD BTO ($100 depending on which MBP you get) and move to a larger SSD when it meets your expectations and budget.
     
  22. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #22
    V3 hands down!

    owc will just sell a re-branded ocz drive with their own flavoured FW.

    ocz support forums are brilliant. very friendly and helpful - i heard owc are also renowned for their tech support - but international calls are a put off, as im uk based.

    ocz have negotiated exclusivity in terms of firmware and under-restrictions with sandforce.

    V3s will demand a premium until the shipments become more mainstream and places like best buy/ amazon get their mits on them

    <here comes the hypocrisy> do not buy ocz drive from ebay as ocz will not honour the 3 yr warranty from e-bay, only end user

    i brought a 2nd hand very cheap 60GB SSD to play around on - its working fine but couldnt register it with ocz
    use it on my old windows laptop as boot drive
     
  23. KJmoon117, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

    KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Location:
    NC
    #23
  24. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #24

Share This Page