Best 256GB SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfrik, Oct 26, 2009.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hey guys, just wondering about the best 256gb ssd on the market today. What I seek is the write and read speed that is almost comparable with the Intel SSD gen 2. I originally used the 160GB Intel SSD but it was to small for my needs. I need something bigger (256gb). Does anyone has any good recommendation besides the Intel SSD?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My recommendation is to read up on some of the many threads that discuss this already.

3. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FWIW, I would do a 160GB X25 Intel before a 256GB anything right now. Just sayin'.

5. skattle91 macrumors newbie

I agree [​IMG]with this!

6. antskip macrumors regular

OCZ Vertex Series Mac Edition SATA II 2.5" SSD.http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc...ocz_vertex_series_mac_edition_sata_ii_2_5-ssd

7. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

P256

Would recommend the Corsair P256. Great read/write speeds and comes with the new samsung self-healing technology that gets around the TRIM issue regardless of OS support.

8. antskip macrumors regular

9. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

I also feel the Intel X-25M is the best route to go. Everything else would just be a compromise.

10. antskip macrumors regular

If 160Gb is not enough, and you need 250Gb, then an Intel 160GB is much more of a compromise - the initial question was from someone who already has a Intel 160GB, and wants a good 250GB SSD! There are several 250/256Gb SSD options, and they are very fine performers, actually. Most importantly in this case, they provide more than 50% more storage space than a 160GB Intel. If you need that extra space, you will notice the difference far more than any speed differences! (which, in real life, may not even be noticeable)

11. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

DO NOT buy OCZ. I currently have a 250 GB ocz vertex in my mbp. The first one failed after just a month. I figured that maybe it had been sitting around the store for awhile so what ever. They ship me a brand new unit from the assembly line in taiwan and it fails after just a week. I'm currently waiting for my THIRD ssd to arrive.

OCZ makes the customer pay to ship the ssd out to them. Between having to send both in I have spent over $60 on shipping. I demanded that they cover the cost but they rudely told me it was stated in the warrenty even though the product or their webpage both lack a statement of the warrenty.

BTW I paid over $700 for this service. Be smart about who you go with...

12. antskip macrumors regular

That is terrible! OCZ ought to pay shipping for a faulty SSD. Sounds like very rotten luck, considering the average. I would feel the same way as you! Luckily for me, my 120GB OCZ Summit has been a dream for 5 months now. If the new Intels were available in Australia, and for a comparable price, I would get an Intel 160GB SSD tomorrow. I think the 250GB SSD's are overpriced. If I needed lots of space I would stay with a 320GB, 500GB or 640GB HDD. But if one really needed a 250Gb SSD (they are so quiet!), there are some good options. The Summit has a Samsung controller - I think it is a more conservative option, but it is blindingly fast - but not as good as the Intel, all round.

13. vant macrumors 65816

It is noticeable. Just a couple threads ago one member with both X25-M G1 and Vertex mentioned that it was definitely snappier.

14. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Crucial M225 is a good drive. Similar to some of the OCZ drives in design, but you've got Crucial's excellent customer service (well it is in the UK), plus it was cheaper.

I've a 128GB M225 in my Mini, runs very, very well.

15. rbmclaughlin macrumors newbie

Been rockin' a corsair P256 since March, and have no complaints. Very fast, no stuttering, and only minimal slowing after drive is filled.

16. acurafan macrumors 6502a

corsair p256

no issues since mar '09. i thought about intel but needed the extra space, the ssd has been excellent so far.

17. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

So is a slowing SSD normal after a period of use? Especially after filling up the drive?

18. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Awww, I just did *sadness*. But it seems to be fine right now. The failing I can understand (I'm on my 6th replacement of my iPhone 3G) but the shipping is stupid.

19. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Meh, Intel's failed in a day..

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ls_firmware_for_SSDs_just_a_day_after_release

20. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

If the SSD doesn't support TRIM or Garbage Collection, then yes it'll slow down. SL doesn't do TRIM yet so only OCZ's Vertex 1.41 has GC (which works great btw, I have the 128gb version).

21. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Wow, I just know that. Does Intel SSD gen 2 support TRIM? Cause I just ordered intel SSD gen 2 for my MacBook Pro and it better support TRIM :confused:

22. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

You didn't read the article?

It doesn't support it out of the box but the firmware that has TRIM bricks the drive..

Also SL doesn't support TRIM yet so it doesn't matter...

23. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Even if you don't fill the drive up, SSDs will slow down because of why they slow down (it doesn't slow down to nothing, tho...it eventually levels off).

When you delete a file, it doesn't get deleted on the SSD, rather it's just marked invalid. eventually the SSD fills up with invalid space after daily use. so even if you only use up 40% of the space, the SSD might already be filled with invalid space because of the constant write and deletes that happen when you use your comp.

When it's all filled up and you try to write a file, it deletes the invalid space it needs to store the files. The main culprit is that you can write to a space smaller than what you can delete. TRIM will simply move the deleting of this invalid space from the writing stage to the deleting stage but won't remove the fact that you can only delete a minimum amount of space which just so happens to be larger than the writing space.

Of course in all, even without TRIM, it's still faster than the HDD. It's just the question of how much does it slow down in comparison to how much you paid for it. If money is no object, then you don't have to worry about it (course even as fast as an SSD is, you'll notice the difference in speed unless you got like two iodrives in RAID).

24. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Good explanation Niiro13, Thanks!

Ok, so I tried to install the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox on the Bootcamp partition (since the file only operates under Windows) and it says "This tool is not supported on the selective drive". What should I do? I am using the 34nm Intel SSD Gen 2 X-25M 160GB.

25. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

My bootcamp partition is 95% full and the P256 still reads and writes like its fresh out of the box. I've confirmed this with HD tune. I haven't found much about the self-healing technology built in. I just know its there. (Corsair use Samsung Drives)

"Samsung’s Self-Healing feature is not found in a DOS application, Windows executable or any other user activated program. Self-Healing is built into the second generation Samsung controller and automatically trims the fat from the SSD bone."
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2841/corsair_performance_series_solid_state_raid_report/index.html