Best 27" UHD for a MBP 13" 2015 these days ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arthur75, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Arthur75 macrumors 6502

Arthur75

Hello there ...

I plan to change my current config soon (a mid 2010 15" MBP, which when at home is used closed on a 24" 1200p)
    And will probably go for a latest MBP 13".

As for the display, I think I will go for a 27" UHD(4k).

I have somehow narrowed my choice to the :
    - DELL P2715Q
    - Asus PB279Q
    - BenQ BL2711U

Didn't find much about the BL2711U here, although in the threads about the Dells it is mentioned as better and more mac friendly than the dell.
    Also not much about the Asus here.

Any return on what would be the best choice ? (especially regarding simple 4K usage with the MBP 13")
    Any new ones coming soon ?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You have not anything about the use case. If you need fast refresh like for gaming, you should probably get a TN screen. If you need better off axis viewing, you likely want an IPS screen. You can worlds of pages that do monitor reviews and plenty of review videos on Youtube.

This past week I replaced my Apple Thunderbolt Display with a Dell UP-2414Q 24" 4K monitor with 100%sRGB and 90%+ AdobeRGB color gamut compliance. Very nice for doing photo editing. I drive it with my 15" 2013 rMBP at 60Hz with no problem via a cable that is miniDisplayPort on the Mac end and DisplayPort on the monitor end. The monitor has a USB3 hub that works just fine. I go the monitor on eBay for $350 as an experiment to see if both the wife and I would like 27" 4K monitors. I believe that is what we will do. The Dell P2715Q has already dropped to $519 at B&H and Adorama. By Black Friday and Cyber Monday, that should be under $500.

So fine tune your use case requirements, check the reviews....and watch the prices keep falling. :)

3. Arthur75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Arthur75

About the use cases ?
    I'm not a gamer at all (except a current addiction to online backgammon that I should gt off !)
    Some photo and video work, a bit of 3D, ms office, mathematica.
    And a lot of web, reading, etc.

I'm looking at good colour rendering, and the "right balance" between higher DPI and screen size.

So 27" seems to me the right size for UHD (but reading the thread on the dells, looks like a lot of people go for the 24").

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

There is not a huge cost difference between the P-2415Q at $409 and the P-2715Q at $519. I would say they will be below $00 and $500 respectively before Christmas. I doubt you will go wrong with either.