Best 2nd hand mbp to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeezelP, Mar 7, 2015.

1. DeezelP macrumors member

Hi guys

I recently bought a 2012 mac pro which I am really happy with due to its upgradable capability. I was wondering was there an equivalent mbp or mba? I hv heard that the notebooks are much harder to upgrade. ...

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes they are. Any Macbook Air will have its ram soldered to the mother board. The 2012 and older Airs can have the ssd swapped out fairly easily but for the most part the Air is meant to be bought and used as is. The Mid 2012 Macbook Pro was the last Pro model that was user upgradable. Anything Late 2012 or later has soldered ram just like the Air. Obviously all of the older MacBook's like the 2010 and earlier white and black MB's have user upgradability.

Many people think they need the ability to upgrade components but many really don't. The benefit of pcie ssd speeds on the Air and newer Pro's far outweigh the ability to change things out.

That being said, some users are more comfortable with the ability to perform their own upgrades and if that's the case then stay away from the Air models and stay with any Pro that is mid 2012 or earlier.

3. DeezelP thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply

For me, an ssd and at least 8gb has always been ok. However if it is possible to get a high spec 2012 with hdd then swap it to ssd, is this possible? What do you guys think?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mid 15" 2012 MBPs have the ram soldered and include SSDs. Apple released 13" rMBPs later that year and those themselves had ram soldered onto the logic board and SSDs.

If you want the fastest 2012 MBPs it would be the rMBP and those like subsequent years cannot be easily upgraded (ram no, SSDs yes).

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

That actually isn't true.

There is a Mid 12 15" cMBP. This had upgradable RAM and a spinning drive as standard with the option of an SSD.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP694?locale=en_US

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I meant the rMBP not the cMBP - you're right the cMBP had a hard drive and upgradeable ram.

7. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Seriously, if you get a new/refurb rMBP with 16GB RAM and as much SSD as you need/can afford, you'll be served better than buying someone's knockaround MBP off eBay.

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

When MacBooks came with only 4GB ram and a hard drive - Then it made sense to have the ability to upgrade.

Now the pros come with 8GB stock and an SSD...so having the ability to upgrade is kind of pointless at this stage.

And the 15"s come stock with 16 GB ram!

You get included and free now what in the past you had to purchase separately and put in yourself, and the trade off is an upgraded screen and something much thinner and lighter.

That's a very good trade off in my opinion..

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

All the noise about upgrading is old news already...

The current specification of the MBPr is very solid right up to the most demanding levels, those that need more will be using Mac Pro`s or Windows based portable Workstations at 2-3 times the cost of a MBPr.

Older MBP`s with dGPU should be avoided, they are all literally time bombs, as validated by Apple`s recent warranty extension of the dGPU across multiple models (2011 - 2013). The Retina models have significantly improved cooling equally the dGPU is still pushed to the limits and in time will likely fail prematurely, as per Apple`s expectation.

Anyone thinking of purchasing one of the afflicted 15"MBP`s should think very carefully as the odds are against you. If you have owned the system from new, if the dGPU was used lightly, if you have been successful in moderating the systems temperature, if your lucky, or you can always join the 10`s of thousands of owners with dead systems. Doubtful ? one petition alone to Apple had more than 30K, let alone those who are not tech savvy, and not aware of the same.

The MBP with dGPU is a "buyer beware product"; if you need the dGPU for work purpose etc. then it makes sense as the cost of the machine will be rapidly recovered. If you don't need the dGPU avoid it, as there is a good chance it will fail after 2-3 years of use. If you want to game buy a console or build a cheap gaming PC, as gaming on the MacBook Pro is an expensive proposition.

Q-6