best 2TB for macpro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Oct 21, 2010.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

3. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Got a 2TB Samsung F4 Spinpoint recently, it is an awesome drive. Way quieter than the Western Digital because it uses 3 platters instead of 4. It's also a bit faster too. Also right now it's cheaper (not including any potential coupons). I normally buy Western Digital, but I have to say this Samsung really is awesome.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

6. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found the 64mb, well I think that is a lottery... good or bad... thanks

7. bluesteel macrumors 6502

8. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i've also read that the Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, Western Digital RE4 2TB, and Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB are very fast drives as well, the western digital's being on the more expensive side i think.

9. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

black is more expensive, by the way I want the 2tb just! for music! so the green is ok, I think but I dont know about the issues... mixed reviews around

10. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Certain models of the WD 2TB drives are four platter. Not all of them though, it seems like the newer ones are 3 platter. The Samsung seems to do better in benchmarks still though from what I have seen.

I just really don't like the WD Green series, the fact that they don't list the RPM, the fact that they "silently" started selling 3 platter 2TB on certain models. I just didn't want to chance anything, and the Samsung satisfies me very well.

11. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i use a 5400 RPM for my iTunes collection, and it seems fine. i have read in places, however, that a faster spinning hard drive is better for music, or sound files in general. not sure if that's correct, though.

12. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im I a dilema! haha I have a lot movies that I want pass to hd... I dont want CDs anymore! so Im thinking in backup... is hard beacuse the hd can exploit! haha and say goodbye everything...

13. bluesteel macrumors 6502

yeah, i have read mixed reviews too. a lot of people ordering multiple drives at one time, with earlier failures or DOA altogether. i guess all hard drives have problems. i've been very lucky in the past 3 years with my Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB's. before that I use to use 500GB Seagate Barracuda's, and they constantly failed on me. i feel safe with Western Digital, but i hear Hitachi, Samsung, and Toshiba hard drives are very reliable as well. who knows, right? i guess when all said and done, you just have to get lucky :)

14. bluesteel macrumors 6502

yeah, i know what your saying. cheap reliable backup is the way to go. these 2TB hard drives can hold a whole lot of space. i'm going to be buying my first 2TB's in the next week. i think i'm going to go Western Digital Caviar Green or Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 for backups, and the Western Digital Blacks or RE4's for main storage. The Samsung Spinpoints look enticing too, though, haha!! decisions, decisions :)

15. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love have all in hds... play and play... no more open cd drive... insert dvd... wait, play.. ok good song.. next dvd? open insert dvd... soooo boring!

having all in hds is great! but is early in this days for have all, when the hds have 10tb by minimum would be my day, in 5 years? or more? o minus? haha

16. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i remember when i put all my CD's on a hard drive like 10 years ago. it is a very laborious task, a great way to procrastinate on other things. music on an HD is so much easier to deal with :)

17. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, for me is very simple:

Vinyls never die, I prefer than cd... so music for me is in vinyl and in apple lossless, I dont want cds anymore... :)

18. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i hear you on vinyls. i wish i knew back in the day, cause if i did, i'd have thousands of them...lol.

19. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

my english suckkk for understand you haha sorry :(

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

21. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

to boot up? so if you open (double click for see content) you take a lot?????? so strange, or you mean that make slow the computer when boot? :eek:

22. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, they are slow with random access type activity. For recording and watching shows, even in HD, they are fine. Ideal even, given their quiet and cool nature.

23. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I feel like the Samsung is the way to go. Quiet and reliable.