best 2TB HDD replacement -for time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnnyturbouk, Mar 27, 2011.

1. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Hi all

Just copped a bargain on flea-bay
    500GB hardly used, dual-band apple time capsule

i want to buy a 2TB HDD to replace the stock 500GB HDD

my options are

-WD caviar green
    -seagate barracuda
    -Samsung spinpoint

my 1st choice was the WD caviar green, however have heard some alarming issues raised re this drive: firmware issues, park the HD heads after solely 8 sec of inactivity, the load cycle count (LCC) of this drive keeps on increasing at a rate far greater than a normal drive, dramatically decreasing the life of the drive.

Any1 on here done this, and what 2TB would you recommend.

p.s. - i will be following this guide:
    http://www.applefritter.com/node/23907

thanks in advance

2. dtmagee macrumors newbie

Time Capsule to view movie/music files through HDTV?

hello.

I just purchased a Samsung HDTV. I bought an HDMI cable to run files off of my Macbook. As it turns out my Macbook wont play audio through the HDMI cable. Ive heard I can get an aux plug to supplement that issue. But I'm think about going in a different direction.
    The Samsung HDTV I got has a USB port in the back that allows you to play video/music files through the television. Would it be possible to run a Time Capsule through that port and would the TV possibly recognize and play the files off of said Time Capsule?
    Please guide me....:D

3. johnnyturbouk, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

i will connect my samsung tv to my time capsule b Ethernet, as i have an Ethernet port and a cat6 wire.

Do you have broadband, router, and PS3? Streaming from your mac or time capsule to ps3 is very easy.

Or, do you want to use the samsung TV as an external monitor.

Which macbook air model do you have, do u have a mini-displayport? You can buy a mini-displayport to hdmi which supports both digital audio+video, well the later macbook pro models do, not sure about MBAs

4. dtmagee macrumors newbie

I want to use my Samsung as an external monitor. My MB does not support audio through HDMI unless I get an Aux Plug, which I dont want to do to avoid clutter. So my question remains, can I use a Time Capsule in the USB port of my television. Does the Time Capsule have a USB plug that I could run through my TV?

5. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend the Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB (HD204UI) drive.

6. Euphoria227 macrumors newbie

I am using this one and it is great. It is the only one out of three lower rpm drives that I tried that properly spun down after being inactive for a few minutes. I tried both the Caviar Green and Barracuda LP and neither spun down. Also I tried a Hitachi Deskstar and although that spun down, it is a 7200rpm drive and I wanted a lower rpm drive so it would run cooler.

7. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

thanks guys

-received my TC today, and the seller had advertised as dual-band.. when in-fact its the old model. The lack of manual and install CD i could deal with, but for the price i paid, i expected the model that was advertised in the listing

8. Euphoria227 macrumors newbie

All models of Time Capsules are dual band.

The 1st generation time capsules are selectable dual band because they will do either 2.4 or 5 GHz.

The current generation are simultaneous dual band because they do 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time.