Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
Hello everyone, hope you all enjoyed a wonderful thanksgiving break :D

Anyway, I am going to purchase a 2tb Network Drive that I can plug into my wifi router with an ethernet cable.

I was looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...etwork+-+Storage-_-Western+Digital-_-22136347

but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with network drives (I don't want a time capsule because I don't need another wifi router), and I was wondering what would be the best one to purchase?

Thanks a lot :) :apple:

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Do you have an AEBS? It has a USB port that allows you to hook up a 2TB drive costing at least $100 less than the one you're looking at.

SpeedFleX

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Interwebz
Have you though about a Windows Home Server, they are like NAS but with a lot of functions.

If you just use it for storage its pretty much plug and play, you have to have a windows machine or vm to set it up but once the first setup is done you can remote desktop in to it from your mac.

The best part about it through is if you want to install software on it, like a full iTunes as a server which then you can connect to appletv unlike a nas which only serves Music.

You have to mod some thing via Terminal to add Time Machine functions but I think you have to do that anyways with the WD from new egg since I see no Time Machine support or did I miss something?

Also a plus with the WHS is you can add drives to it, I have 4x2TB in it.

Just a my 2 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.