Best 2TB SATA drives to use in new Mac Pro RAID

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by weez999, Aug 10, 2009.

1. weez999 macrumors member

I just purchased a Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and an Apple RAID card. I did not purchase their hard drives because they weren't big enough.

What are the best 2TB SATA drive (minimum 7200rpm) that I can purchase? I need to buy 4 of them for a RAID 5 config.

I only see the seagate and wd drives. Which one is better and why?

Thanks guys!

Oh, I know others will ask so here's the other info about the tower:

standard 2.26 Nehalem 8-core Xeon
    two Nvidia GTX 285 video cards

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

There are three choices for 2TB drives, unfortunately only one of them is 7200rpm and it's not released yetshipping now (thanks for the correction djourd).

The WD GreenPower 2TB drive runs at 5400rpm, the Seagate 2TB trumps that at 5900rpm and Hitachi have just announced a 2TB that will run at 7200rpm, but uses 5 platters with a relatively low data density.

Won't be long before WD release a Caviar Black 2TB drive at 7200rpm for serious data hounds though!

3. weez999 thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, I hadn't even noticed there were only 5400 drives! I just assumed 7200 because of the size etc but I guess that shows I should pay attention to detail more!

Anyway, how about SAS drives? Any thoughts on these and why I'd rather use those? My biggest issues with these are size, power consumption, and noise. Your thoughts?