Best 2TB+ USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt portable storage for a MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by curtoise, Jun 19, 2013.

1. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I need to buy one today for work, andy advice or guidance on the most popular usb 3.0 or thunderbolt portable storage that is 2TB or more?

Thanks a lot.

2. meistervu macrumors 65816

Without any question, Buffalo Station DDR, 2TB or 3TB.

3. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you're looking for "Portable" (bus-powered) I'd go with the WD. Buffalo is speedy but not terribly portable.

5. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

While thinking about it I do not think I really need portable at all as it is going to be plugged behind a Thunderbolt Display so probably the Buffalo is better?

What about the Lacie? a little more expensive

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Thunder...000353/dp/B00AJJIUKO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

6. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, that is it. It's the fastest drive on the market you can get by a huge margin, other than SSD's.

7. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need this for work and also for iPhoto - iTunes libraries to be in Home Sharing with Apple TV, I thought bus powered was a better idea but if it is slow...

----------

The Lacie is the fastest one on the market now?

What about ssd external? any recommendation?

8. meistervu macrumors 65816

No, the Buffalo is the fastest one on the market now, probably twice as fast as the Lacie. There is a recent review for the Buffalo if you search. SSD is really expensive so unless money is no object, I would not consider one for a 2TB drive.

9. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I guess now it is a matter or powered usb or not :cool:

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Remember that a single external drive is an accident waiting to happen....if it is not backed up by Time Machine to another drive. All data should be on at least 2 drives....ideally even a 3 copy being offsite.

11. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then the ideal setup should be two drives like the Buffalo ones, one with the working data and Time Machine backing that up to the other Buffalo drive correct?

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would think so. Maybe down the road mix in another external to have your Time Machine backed up if you're worried about that. Personally, I don't but I think that's what MCAsan is recommending.

13. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is possible with TIme Machine to backup to multiple drives? the same data?

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I think you can have Time Machine alternate between drives. So the copies may not be exactly the same. Personally I use only one 3TB drive for Time Machine. But, I have a web server where I can upload my data (slowly).

Of course the ultimate protection is one set of data is offsite in case of theft, fire, or other bad karma. You have to decide how important your data is to you...and what steps/cost you will take to keep it available.

15. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thinkTime Machine and an online storage (Dropbox, etc) is a good solution too.

16. meistervu macrumors 65816

What about an online backup solution? There are subscription services with unlimited storage.