Best 3rd Party PRO iPhone Earbuds

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mashinhead, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i'm looking to upgrade my earbuds. I want some high end audio quality earbuds, that don't compromise functionality (ie the have mic and a song control button like the apple ones do. Any reviews or recommendations from the macrumors community?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Shure SE530 and Shure MPA

you cannot go wrong...

3. bombtrack macrumors member

2 votes for Shure SE530 and Shure Music Player Adapter. If money is not an issue, this is an excellent upgrade over the Apple buds.

4. drugs! macrumors regular

like i said in the previous thread... don't go with shure inears. I find them to be really bland and don't accurately play back the source material

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Shure E3's are brilliant drivers and the 530's are the updated/upgraded. I've tried Epytomic - SUper.Fi - Vibe Duos. I don't like the Shure mic adapter concept though.

6. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

um ok... maybe i meant prosumer. in like the $150 range.

7. drugs! macrumors regular

check out the ultimate ears super.fi 4 with iphone functionality. I personally haven't heard them, but i can't imagine them being miles above anything else bought in that price range. If you are looking for accurate representation of your music, that is.

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I got some Skullcandy Smokin' Buds and friggin' love 'em! $35 at a local mall. I'm extremely impressed. Quite honestly, I like them better than the Shure 110s, and about the same as the $100 Vmodas.

I also ordered some Comply Foam thingies to go with them. I'm expecting some good things.

9. Shap macrumors member

10. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

interesting but i want to know how the mic is on those ebay ones or if there is one.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

it says on the website that there is a mic....

from my knowledge, people that have purchased no-name iPhone headphones on eBay, the mic is occasionally on the other side...

i can confirm though that the CX-300 buds are not made by Sennheiser

12. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

can you go into more about that? meaning the ones he's selling aren't the same as sennheiser as he claims, or sennheirser just puts their name on some third party product.

13. PatrickC macrumors member

The mic works fine on the eBay earbuds. I had no complaints when I made a call with them. The only thing is that with the buds being airtight in your ears, when you talk it sounds strange (try plugging your ears while talking, you'll see what I mean.) But don't let that discourage you. The sound quality on the earphones is excellent for the small pricetag.

14. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

What is the name of the one on ebay or does anyone have any current links to the seller or item?

15. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

Ok I found them....just put Sennheiser CX300 into ebay and look for the abnormally cheap ones...

Just a quick question do the Sennheiser CX300 the input doesnt look like it would fit into the iphone 1g , is this correct? Im looking for a earbud thats good that works with the iphone 1g...let me know.

Thanks!

16. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'll put in a recommendation for the Nuforce NE-7M. These cost $50 from Amazon, and they give my $200 Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pros a run for their money. They've got a ton of bass, without drowning out the highs and mids. These are a really fun set of earphones to listen to, and are a complete bargain at $50.

17. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Bang and Olufsen Earset 3. If you can get it to fit correctly, which is very easy as they are extremely adjustable, they produce AMAZING sound in my opinion. :)

18. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I agree, my Sennheiser CX-300's just went, had them for years and I want to replace them. Any thoughts on if I should get the CX-500's or perhaps the Sennheiser MM 50-IP? Thanks!

19. Petrine macrumors newbie

I just purchsed a set of sennheiser MM50 IP, cost $120 Aussie, and my opinion is this - for that money I could have bought a whole lot of empty bottles, smashed them all for half an hour, and still got a better sound than these buds. I tried for two hours with them, played every type of music I could, but when Metallica sounded like it was coming out of a tin can, I went back to the original Made-in-China, lowest bidder crap that came with my iPhone in the first place. Simply, they sounded like an old AM radio with the tone turned up. Great high range, too great in fact, I could feel my eardrums rebelling. Unfortunatly, as there's nothing actually wrong with them, I can't get my money back. They may just have to meet with an accident.

Don't bother if you don't want to wear a hearing aid in three months. Or if you want to hear bass of any sort. Actually, just don't bother

On that note, any suggestions?

"you know, if you play Boyz 2 Men backwards... They sound better..." - Bill Hicks

20. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I totally disagree with this. I just bought the Sennheiser MM50 IP for $50US and they are excellent earbuds. Anything from Akon, to Metallica, to Mozart sounds great with these earbuds. It's also great having the speaker for phone calls and using the clicks to move forward, backward of pause my music. Simply Sennheiser makes the best product and these replaced my 4yr old CX300's. I use Bass Booster on the iPhone's equalizer and I make sure the buds use the right sized cups to fit my ears and they sound great. :)

In other words, buy these earbuds!

21. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

I am completely d'accord with bytethese. I wrote a short review on Sennheiser MM 50 iP here at MR with some high res pics. Full iPhone functionality. Better sound than someones that cost twice, ternary or even quad and I've tried lots of them. Get them cheap anywhere else than in Apple Store... ;-)

22. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

I agree one hundred percent! I purchased these a few weeks ago and WOW! Everything from iTunes content to movies to Pandora streams sound excellent with fantastic stereo separation, imaging, and punch.

Enjoy 'em!

-J