Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, so it didn't meet the year cutoff for the Sierra unlock with the watch feature.

Does anyone have any iOS apps to suggest that are easy to use?

Reactions: ekwipt

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks! I have a non-retina model and I haven't been able to find one...

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
MacID is fantastic for this, and it works really well -- I use it on a daily basis. Check it out here.

Thanks! Do you get a notification on the watch to unlock the Mac or does it use proximity and unlock it automatically?

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
MacID is fantastic for this, and it works really well -- I use it on a daily basis. Check it out here.

I've been having an problem with MacID where I have to manually put the password in after the mac goes to sleep. Do you have this issue?

Insleep

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
United States
Thanks! Do you get a notification on the watch to unlock the Mac or does it use proximity and unlock it automatically?

You can choose from both, personally I use proximity.
[doublepost=1475804411][/doublepost]
I've been having an problem with MacID where I have to manually put the password in after the mac goes to sleep. Do you have this issue?

Hmm, no, I haven't had this issue...maybe try reaching out to the help Twitter @MacIDHelp and explain your issue there, I'm guessing the dev will be able to help you out more than I can :)

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
You can choose from both, personally I use proximity.
[doublepost=1475804411][/doublepost]

Hmm, no, I haven't had this issue...maybe try reaching out to the help Twitter @MacIDHelp and explain your issue there, I'm guessing the dev will be able to help you out more than I can :)

Thanks!

rwstgermain

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I havent seen where you can use the watch to unlock using proximity. Looks like you can only do proximity with the iphone. Watch only has a button to un-lock the screen.

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
So what keeps the developer off your computer if you are providing your password?

Insleep

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
United States
So what keeps the developer off your computer if you are providing your password?

If you take a look at the MacID "media" tab on the website, it does say that the password is encrypted and never leaves your Mac, and this is confirmable via the macOS Keychain Access app. I suppose if you still don't trust it, then don't use it, but it has thousands and thousands of installs and nothing bad has happened, and I don't believe anything will in terms of passwords.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Unless I am mistaken....I haven't been able to find an app that will do this via the Apple Watch regardless of where my phone is. Example: I want my MacBook to automatically lock/unlock when I leave or return to my office to go to another room. I want to be able to leave my phone on my desk and simply have my watch be the trigger...not the phone.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
You still need to update your Bluetooth to low energy. That is why the cutoff on certain models. Models after 2012 had Bluetooth Low Energy standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.