Best 4.X firmware?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jman298, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jman298 macrumors newbie

Hi all. Currently i have an ipod touch 4th gen running 5.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w. Since so many cydia apps are incompatible with ios5 i thought i would go ahead and restore to a 4.X firmware. So, my question is, what is the most stable 4.X firmware for the ipod touch 4th gen? (remember, it will be jailbroken) i was thinking of going with 4.2.1 but would like to hear all of your opinions, thanks a lot!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What firmwares do you have your SHSH blobs for?

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

4.2.1 is the least demanding of the iOS 4.X family. It was that tipping point between Apple trying their hardest to ease the load of the OS and forgetting about performance and pointing priorities on features.

4. Jman298 thread starter macrumors newbie

Intel: well for shsh blobs it doesnt matter, i can just put it in pwned dfu mode and use tiny umbrella, so i can restore any 4.X firmware im pretty sure. But, i do have 4.3.3 shshs blobs and thats it.

Abuser: so are you saying 4.2.1 isnt the best choice? If not, thats fine i just wont use it.

Thanks guys

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SHSH blobs do matter. If you don't have them for your target firmware, you cannot restore it that firmware. In your case, having only 4.3.3, that is the only firmware you can restore to.

6. Jman298 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry abuser that was a really stupid reply. I see what youre saying, i wont use 4.2.1 then.

----------

Thats what i thought but putting it in pwned dfu should allow me to bypass that need shouldt it? I thought ive done it in the past, maybe im just getting
    mixed up. So, if i am stuck with just restoring it to 4.3.3, is that a reliable firmware? If not, ill just stay on 5.0.1 and wait for cydias apps to update.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Pwned DFU mode doesn't fully go around the need for them. They are and will always be needed for everything except the old bootrom 3Gs.

8. Jman298 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes, that is how i was able to restore it in the past, i used to have an old bootrom, before it got stolen. I guess i was mixed up. I shall still try it, doesnt hurt to try. So, you are right, now tell me, should i go with 4.3.3 or stay on 5.0.1?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5.0.1 is good on my iPod Touch 4G. One thing about the SHSH blob-less old bootrom 3Gs, it hasn't be exploited to do that yet. All just theory from the iPhone Dev-Team at this point.

10. Jman298 thread starter macrumors newbie

5.0.1 is good on my ipod4 as well, just seems like the fimware takes up more space and many cydia apps arent compatible. As for the old bootroms, i have lost interest in them, i guess ive just fallen in love with retina display :). I shall try to restore to 4.3.3 within this week and see how it goes, ill keep this updated.