Best 4k Demo for 5k iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brberg, Jan 24, 2016.

1. brberg macrumors member

Just curious what folks show their friends/family to demo the amazing 5k screen of the latest 27" iMac. While stills are nice, I would expect videos are even more impressive in 4k resolution. Do folks go to YouTube, or are their better options?

TIA!
    -B

2. Jan.K macrumors newbie

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Very nice ...

4. JustinThiel macrumors newbie

JustinThiel

Just bought my 2015 5k iMac and not a single 4K YouTube video looks crisp or clear. Are you seeing the same thing or are these videos crispy on your iMac?

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I just enjoyed re-watching the above video on my 2015 5K iMac and it is very sharp, crisp, and clear. Note that the photographic techniques used will purposely render the background and possibly a foreground object slightly out of focus ... but the subject (birds) are very sharp.

Perhaps you have inadvertently changed a video parameter in your settings that is causing the problem?

6. JustinThiel macrumors newbie

JustinThiel

I don't know I just watched that video on my 2015 5k iMac, my 2016 13" MacBook Pro, and my 2012 1080p 50" Samsung Smart TV. The iMac looked the worst. The MacBook definitely didn't look very crispy for 4k on a 13" display. My TV looked the best again, very crispy, noticeably better than both of my Macs at full screen.

I just don't get it.. Both of the Macs of smaller displays with a higher resolution than my tv, it just doesn't seem right that the video would look the sharpest on my tv in comparison. I'm really confused!

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I assume you are watching it "full screen" mode on the iMac and MacBook Pro

8. JustinThiel, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

JustinThiel macrumors newbie

JustinThiel

Yes. So I ran a side-by-side test with Safari and Chrome. Chrome displays way more color and detail than safari! Why would Apple do this on their wide color gamut Macs? Is my Safari messed up???

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

Oh my. Probably not wild raptors, then?

I rather like JKS's Costa Rica video

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Also very nice and well done .... thanks for posting it.