Best $50 - $150 in-ear earphones with microphone for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by majordude, Oct 19, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I can't stand the cheap-assed ear phones that came with my iPhone. I was at Apple :apple: yesterday and they have some $100 V-Moda in-ear earphones that have good specs (and it has a build in mic)... but they only have 2.5 stars on the Apple site.

I like the V-Moda style... what are those calls, ear buds? I like the type that go in the ear canal not on the outside like the Apple ear phones.

I want them for music #1 and then the ability to use during a phone call #2.

The Sennheiser MM50 iP are better rated (but I didn't see them in the store) and the Etymotic hf2 are a bit out of my price range but are 3.5 stars like the Sennheiser's.

I'm not attached to the Apple store so if there is something out there that they don't carry just let me know!

Skullcandy FMJ Earbuds?

Any recommendations?

2. jTreu macrumors 6502

Skullcandy are very good for the price, I would look into those.

3. Dizle macrumors 6502

I loved my Skullcandy Full Metal Jackets when I had them. I'm a runner and 2 things bothered me; the extra long length and the volume control. They stopped working after like 50 miles of hard running (not continuously) and I sent them to skullcandy bc they have a great warranty and never heard anything back. I think they got lost in the mail but I would probably buy them again at the price I payed, under $40. Awesome sound and bass

4. HaroldC macrumors regular

I've had everything from Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro, V-Moda, Etymotic, Atrio M5, Klipsch X10, and now use the Skull Candy FMJ.

They were relatively cheap, and have huge bass and seal well when used with the UE ear tips. The treble is not as clear as some of the others, but is way better than the stock Apple buds. The bass is overpowering at first, but with ~100 hrs of burn-in they tone down a bit and get much tighter. Most people who don't like the bass listen to right out of the box and don't let them get a chance to burn-in.

Did I say they were cheap? I use them to commute, so I'm constantly on the go, and they (like the V-Moda) have a small port that allows some outside noise to filter in. I don't think this is a bad thing, as I still able to hear loud noises, alerting me to something. It's not a lot of outside noise, just a little. I don't even notice it anymore, and I didn't have to turn the volume up to compensate for it.

The mic is pretty clear too, as I've never had anyone ask me if I was on anything different than the phone itself.

You can get pretty good deals if you look around. I got them off Amazon for $69 IIRC.

5. pro3g macrumors member

I have the skull candy FMJ's they are great the sound is amazing and they block out a lot of noise. For the price they are def the best choice.

6. Smog macrumors regular

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I like the Shure in ear headphones. You have to buy the microphone adapter separately, but they work well and sound great!

8. calvy macrumors 65816

I've now had my Vmoda Vibe Duo's replaced twice, and am on my third pair. Each time, the left earbud either cut out completely, or was static and would cut in and out. I think it must have gotten screwed up while riding my bike in the park for 7 or 9 miles at a time, and having the chord bent over from the way it was in my pocket. However, the 3rd replacement set Vmoda has sent me has a new jack where the plug goes into the iPhone. I am hoping this will make them better for my use. Because I'm happy with them otherwise. If not, I may jump to skull candy based on some of the other reviews in this thread. Though I really just want to buy the Apple headphones if they'd ever come out in store.

9. DigMe macrumors 6502

I was thinking about buying the adaptor alone to use with my Etymotic ER6i. I love the Etys.

10. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Yeah, I just want one thing to carry.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's one thing. All the new Shure IEMS come with the Y-connected earphones and then a chord to extend them to the desired length. The Shure MPA perfectly replaces the standard chord and the microphone sits perfectly. Ask a Apple store employee if you have any concerns. I posted a while back trying to show the length. (Also, it looks seemless incase that is what you are worried about)

12. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Do the Skullcandy earphones have equal length cables or is one side longer that the other? For some reason the latter irritates the living hell out of me. I do sorta-kinda-like the V-Moda because they have equal lengths.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I know nothing of Skullcandy but the Shures definitely do. Remember with Shure you are buying from a company that has been in pro audio for years, whereas Skullycandy and V-Moda are very good at packaging and atheistic appeal, Shure has the upperhand on audio.

14. pro3g macrumors member

The Skull candys headphones are equal and the mic on them isnt to high up either so it doesnt get in your way but the sound is great when you are talking from your headphones.

15. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Er, what? :confused: They are equal length or different length on the Shures?

<--- Avatar v.2.0

16. Dizle macrumors 6502

just bought another pair of skullcandys for $38 shipped!

17. selena12321, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

skullcandy are good stuff if you are not satisfied then try good nokia bluetooth headset.

18. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Hands down the best bang for the buck is to modify the stock apple headset with Skull Candy Ink'd buds

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=571781

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Shures are A Y cable with equal length.

20. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Anyone know of a headset with only one earbud and a mic? I don't listen to music much, but would like a mic for the phone, and just one earbud for phone calls and listening to podcasts.

21. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmmm.

I've read (but not actually listened to them) that the Shure 300 series earphones are awesome... but if I have to buy that dorky mic... doesn't it hang somewhere around my bellybutton?!

Plus, I have heard that the Shure headset has a short cable. I like to keep my phone in my pocket and listen to the music via headsets (4'). Is this report true?